Heather's Reviews > Slathbog's Gold

Slathbog's Gold by M.L. Forman

Aug 11, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own, school-books-kid-books, read-alouds, teen-lit-and-i-love-it
Read in March, 2011

Once you've read a lot of fantasy, it all starts sounding the same! Add some dragons, quests, elves, dwarves and some action and you're set.

What I enjoyed about this book though was that it was clean. The characters are honest, hard working and kind to each other. They work as a team and always choose the right. When confronted with evil they recognize it for what it is and fight against it.

It would make a fun read-aloud and could easily be read by kids ages 8 and up. All of the "main" characters are male, with one female Oracle, but I think most girls would enjoy the book too.

Update February 2012 - I'm reading this outloud to my boys. They are LOVING it and impatiently wait for it every day. They've actually been trying to bribe me to read longer or earlier in the day. It is fun to read out loud too, lots of fun dialogue such. It's easy to really get into the characters and make it exciting sounding.

August 2012 - We're finally done reading this! We took some time off here and there for vacations and illness and such. The kids loved it. They want to read the next book in the series. Nobody was scared or concerned about the 'scary' parts and they laughed quite a bit. I still think it's a great book for kids, as a read-aloud or independent reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slathbog's Gold.