Jill Myles's Reviews > Song of Scarabaeus

Song of Scarabaeus by Sara Creasy

Mar 18, 11

Read from March 17 to 18, 2011

AAAH THAT ENDING. Good thing the next one comes out really soon.

So for the first fifty pages or so, I felt like this book was too smart for me. There were all kinds of worldbuilding I didn't understand, and the technology (or teck) was a little baffling on my end. I struggled to stay afloat. The writing was good - I just had no idea what was going on.

Somewhere around page 50, though, it sank in. And I'm glad I stuck with it, because this book is AWESOME. I'm not a huge SF reader (the bulk of my knowledge in that genre comes from Anne McCaffrey) but I loved this story - Edie as a person who doesn't know what to fight for, and Finn as a man whose goals are slowly changing over the course of the story. I loved the 'leash' bond between them and how it forced them to work together as well as fucked things up for them royally. It added a lot of tension to the story. And what happened on Scarabaeus really surprised me.

So - the story starts out slow and world-heavy, but pulls along like a train leaving the station, and by the time you get to the end, you can't put it down. Can't wait for the next one, CHILDREN OF SCARABAEUS.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Song of Scarabaeus.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Nellie I know, right? Once you can get past the start, you understand what is being talked about.

Jill Myles Nellie wrote: "I know, right? Once you can get past the start, you understand what is being talked about."

Yeah! I really felt lost at the beginning, but I'm glad I stuck through it. Really enjoyable and would have never been on my radar if not for Jane.

Nellie I saw it at B&N when it came out and liked the cover. :D I think I read it in about 2-3 days.