Loretta's Reviews > Enclave

Enclave by Ann Aguirre

Jun 06, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, horror, teen-youth
Read in June, 2011

WOW! Definitely met and exceeded all expectations! There is a review on the inside cover that says "If you are a fan of the Hunger Games, this is for you!" and I CAN NOT AGREE MORE!!! I enjoy the complexities in the characters, the world of a post-plague New York, and the budding feelings of these teens in their trek to find a rumored community to the north of the city. Yes, Fade is an angry, down-to-earth young man that doesn't take the facts for less than what they are. He is at first resentful and dislikes the new Huntress, Deuce, but comes to like her and together they find that the reality the Elders of College Enclave are not standing on the principles of truth, but the principles of what they want. Some are quietly rebelling, while others are completely clueless. BUT, when a friend, albeit a very dumb one, is framed for a hoarder and is about to be exiled from the enclave, Deuce and Fade step up to take the blame and the punishment. Going Topside is just the beginning in their exile... and their survival.

I take it that there is a budding romance betwixt Deuce and Fade but they will continue to face challenges with the newly recruited members to their "team" as they trek north. I am hopeful that thier new friends are stable and loyal in the upcoming war against the intelligent breed of Freaks/Eaters/Muties. The biggest question they have is: will they get to grow old now that they have found the Outpost?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enclave.