Steph Sinclair's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Apr 06, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads, could-have-been-better, it-wasn-t-all-that-but-enjoyable, dystopian, young-adult
Read from April 04 to 06, 2011

I really wanted to love this book. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad, but it just didn't add up to the hype I thought it would. I would say I give it more of 3 1/2 stars.

Delirium is about a girl name Lena who lives in a future where love is considered a disease. At 18 everyone under goes surgery to remove the ability to love. However, a few months before her surgery and birthday, she meets Alex and falls in love. Obviously, this complicates things.

To be honest, it was difficult to place myself in Lena's world. It just seemed so...far fetched. Maybe it's because every time I think if a dystopian society, I think of Katniss and The Hunger Games. If you are looking for something like The Hunger Games, this is is not it. Delirium focuses more on Lena and Alex's relationship than the actual world. Maybe that's why I felt it hard to believe. I don't know.

I feel that the first half of the book was rather bland to me. It didn't really start getting interesting until after the climax. And that is an awful lot of pages to keep me waiting.

I really did enjoy the book tho. It was beautifully written, especially the prose in the beginning of each chapter.

While I don't think it it is as good as Before I Fall, I will read the sequel because c'mon Lauren Oliver, that ending was just harsh! Lol.

More reviews and more at Cuddlebuggery Book Blog.
40 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

04/05/2011 page 147
33.0% "I'm really enjoying this book!"
04/05/2011 page 266
60.0% "Seems like this book has finally picked up for me."
04/06/2011 page 338
77.0% "Gasp! Shock!"

message 1: by Shadowlove3 (new) - added it

Shadowlove3 It seems that there are a lot of YA dystopian books, but they don't focus on the world, instead they only talk about the boring characters

Steph Sinclair Pretty much.