Lani's Reviews > Fevre Dream

Mar 24, 11

bookshelves: borrowed, historicalfiction
Recommended to Lani by: Ratiocination
Read from March 17 to 22, 2011

For the premise alone this book was pretty good. A vampire steamboat book written by George R.R. Martin? Worth a read, right?

I'm not the biggest George R.R. Martin fan, but having only read his Song of Ice and Fire books, my biggest issue is his tendency to write WAAAAAAAY too much. As a one off novel under 400 pages, this didn't have that problem.

The plot was kind of cheesy, and like everyone else, Martin wants to create his own vampire mythos. But it was engaging, the characters weren't all caricatures of cheesy movie vampires and their adversaries, and the descriptions of the river and steamboat life were interesting.

I don't read a lot of horror (because I'm a huge wuss), but I felt like Martin does a good job creating moods. Some of the scenes are pretty gory (again, for a wuss), and as the story amps up towards the conclusion there is a definite scary movie vibe that comes over the pages. People who read that kind of thing all the time may not be impressed, but I found it appropriately chilling without making me want to put the book down for fear of nightmares. That may mean it's watered down for some, but it struck the right balance for me.

If you hear the description 'vampire steamboat book by George R.R. Martin' and get excited, then I doubt you'll be disappointed by this book. If that description doesn't at least make you go 'huh', then you probably aren't the target audience.

The book isn't so spectacular that it will win anyone over, nor is it bad enough that I would steer people away from it. It is exactly what it sounds like, and does a decent job of keeping you reading for just as long as the book lasts. I didn't have a 'I wish it weren't over feeling', but it didn't feel like it went on forever either. Decent book all around, but nothing special.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fevre Dream.