Beth 's Reviews > A Drink Before the War

A Drink Before the War by Dennis Lehane

Mar 17, 11

Don't read reviews of A DRINK BEFORE THE WAR on amazon.com before you read it. They give too much information and spoil the story.

Dennis Lehane’s A DRINK BEFORE THE WAR introduces two PIs, Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro. They’re hired by a politician to find a cleaning lady who he claims has stolen some important documents from him. That’s all the politician wants. Once they find the cleaning lady, their job will be done. But Patrick and Angela learn there is more to those documents, and more than one person wants them.

Their exploits as they learn more and more make this book a true mystery/thriller you won’t want to see end.

But take heart when end it does. A DRINK BEFORE THE WAR is just the first book in a series about Patrick and Angie. And they’re all excellent. I can tell you because I read them all. But this book, in particular, is probably my favorite in the series because of Lehane’s comments spoken through the voice and thoughts of Patrick.

So now I’m sad. I read the series out of order (which you can do with this series because Lehane writes so well) and, although A DRINK BEFORE THE WAR begins the series, I already read the rest of the series. And I also already read every standalone book Lehane wrote. And now there are no more until he writes another.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Drink Before the War.