Sarah's Reviews > Something Borrowed

Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin

F_50x66
Feb 21, 08

Recommended for: Women on vacation who want a quick, predictable read

So here's my take on Something Borrowed, and "Chic-lit" in general - it's satisfying in the way watching an episode of The Hills is satisfying. You know EXACTLY what's going to happen from the first lines of the first chapter (which i guess can be nice since it makes you feel smart and gives a general sense of superiority); the characters are predictable, with a "heroine" that's just likable enough to continue reading but who you generally dislike/never fully sympathize with; it's pretty much something to read when you don't want to have to think. At all. The definition of beach reading. I think this book is great to read on vacation, but other than that I thought it was crap. I mean seriously, is there REALLY a debate over whether or not Rachel did the right thing??? The author sets up the story in a way so that it's impossible to sympathize or side with Darcy, who is such an uber-bitch that it nullifies any debate whatsoever over whether or not Rachel and Dex were in the right. One of those, "she's getting what she deserves" situations. Instead of turning this potentially-highly dramatic situation into a truly interesting discussion over morals, values, and a debate over what's right and wrong, the decision is already made for us by bland, predictable, one-sided characters and situations. I guess when it comes down to it I'd rather watch garbage tv than read a garbage book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Borrowed.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Stephanie that was EXACTLY my problem. the situation could have been sooo much more complex, but Darcy's "surprise" she springs on Rachel at the end of the book (which I'm assuming Giffin created to help justify the affair) was so contrived and cheap. sure, if that didn't happen the book would have ended on a much more melancholy note; but what could you expect, really? the whole situation, when translated into real life, is Incredibly controversial, and you Shouldn't expect a neat, happy ending out of it.

arianna You know the fact that this book is so predictable is bothersome to me especially since they got caught in such a stupid way. On top of all of those loose ends with the people who are left in their lives.

Shannon McGee You make very good points about the book and said it much better then I could.

Sandrakoke Ditto...I couldn't have said it better myself.

Kathy I agree. Darcy's confession at the end just had me staring at the book blankly for a few seconds. "Really?" was all I could say about it.