Beth 's Reviews > Her Fearful Symmetry

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

Mar 17, 2011

liked it

HER FEARFUL SYMMETRY by Audrey Niffenegger begins in a hospital room. A woman, Elspeth, dies and immediately thereafter watches her lover, Robert, mourn her. Somehow after that, though, her ghost is confined to her flat in London.

Edie, Elspeth's twin sister, lives in America with her husband and twin daughters, Julia and Valentina. Elspeth and Edie are estranged, and the truth of that is eventually revealed.

In the meantime, Elspeth has left a lot of money and her large London flat to J and V. And, as already mentioned, that's where Elspeth's ghost is.

Note, also, that J and V have a strange relationship with each other. Although it's understandable for twins to be close, their dependence on each other is quite strange.

Then V decides to do something about that. She could simply live her own life, but that's not enough. Instead, she and the ghost cook up a plan.

THE NEW YORK TIMES gave HER FEARFUL SYMMETRY a good review while the reader reviews I read were bad. I'd say it's someplace in between.

The book seemed pretty corny to me. But I stuck with it because Niffenegger’s fantasy, THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE, seemed corny, too, but still grabbed me. HER FEARFUL SYMMETRY didn't grab me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Fearful Symmetry.