Nikki's Reviews > Unicorn's Peril

Unicorn's Peril by Mark Alders

Mar 22, 11

bookshelves: 2010, fantasy, m-m, read-2011
Read from March 17 to 22, 2011

This is hard to review. On one hand it was a very original, interesting fantasy book that kept me guessing from one moment to the next, but on the other hand it didn't have any real romance in it and the sex was just WEIRD (and not in a good way!) which is why I have given it 3 stars rather than 4. In some ways this story was more about the love between family and friends than it was about romantic love as sex in it seemed to symbolise the transfer of power and was often used (in bizarre scenarios) to manipulate rather than to show affection and feeling.

The start of the book was a bit confusing to me and it was difficult to figure out whose side I wanted to be on (unicorn vs. centaur vs. unitaur!). However, one character I really loved throughout was Keallan with his brash ways that hid his vulnerabilities and insecurities. I also really enjoyed the centaur couple, Ferran and Savannah.

Overall, I think that Mark Alders is a really talented writer with a vivid imagination who has written a completely unique story with this first book in the "Keeper of the Land" series. I am not sure it was entirely to my tastes; however, I have a couple of Mark's other books (The Nourisher and Shadows of the Mind) to read as part of a challenge I am doing so I have plenty more opportunities to be drawn further into his world!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unicorn's Peril.