Craig a.k.a Meatstack's Reviews > Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking

Blink by Malcolm Gladwell

Mar 17, 2011

bookshelves: audiobook, non-fiction, 2011, library
Read from March 28 to April 07, 2011

I might have to turn in my book snob card.

I went into this book thinking I wouldn't like it. After all, it's very popular, it's trendy, all of his books have the same look and feel...heck there's even a Malcolm Gladwell book generator making fun of his work. ( http://www.malcolmgladwellbookgenerat... ).

And, at first I thought my predisposition was correct. A typical non-fiction shallow pop-sci book. Then I let myself get into it, and I got hooked.

When it then came to the section on Autism and temporary autism..I was so intrigued I started pitching it to all my friends and family. That section alone turned this from a 3 star to a four star book.

What Mr. Gladwell does is starts each section by laying out an example. He'll then return to that throughout the section demonstrating each new facet of his argument in that context. It allows you to take something that started off cut and dry and turn it on its head by the time the section is complete. To an effect he sums up the entire book this way too.

You won't get your masters in psychology from this book. You won't come away from reading this with a greater understanding of what's going on in your noggin. But it's full of "well, that's neat" moments to make it an enjoyable and compelling read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blink.