Nurul Nadzirin's Reviews > The Remains of the Day

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro

Mar 20, 11

bookshelves: favourites
Read in August, 2007

I read this during the first year of my Bsc, and it was, simply put, magical. It's been four years since then, and no other book has touched me deeper than this genius. Kazuo Ishiguro paints vivid and realistic scenes with his brilliant prose alone. In Stevens he created a complex character, one who is both innocent and arrogant at the same time. His unnerving loyalty towards his profession is both admirable and pathetic. It's a moving combination. Couple his thoughts of pride when he defines to us his views on "dignity", with his almost-childlike resolution to master bantering, and you'd come to feel both love and sympathy towards this sad, sad man. That last few pages were painful for me, because I just never wanted it to end. And the few months after that, I still thought about Stevens often.

I'm curious to see if this will still be my number one book by the time I am old and grey. It won't surprise me if it is. I've never loved a character so wholly like I love Stevens. I just want to give him a good hug and tell him to enjoy the remains of his day. The positive outlook he decides to adopt at the end makes this even more heart-wrenching. This book is the reason I adore Ishiguro, and I always will.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Remains of the Day.