Ranee's Reviews > Holes

Holes by Louis Sachar

May 30, 2011

Read on May 11, 2011

I knew of a friend who lost everything when her father started digging holes. You see, her dad was a treasure hunter. And to be a treasure hunter, you are supposed to be well equipped and with good manpower. You must also be in possession of a reliable map and a lot of time. You also need a lot of money to be able to acquire all the above things. Unfortunately, my friend's father only acquired a fake map, swindlers for company and equipment worth nothing when you're digging the wrong hole. Little by little, my friend's dad used up all their savings and even lost his time for their family. My friend and her siblings grew up and away from their dad. All was lost, true. All that was left is a hole in my friend's heart. There was once a treasure there, I am sure but her father dug too deep it failed to see it sparkle.

The Hole I've read however is not my friend's story. It did not have a treasure map but it has a great plot. It did talk of treasures, the more obvious would be the one buried. There's a treasure in the form of friendship, one covered in perseverance and another enclosed with hope. If you add a bit of dust of fate with these treasures, you will get the story of a boy named Stanley Yelnats, the main protagonist in this novel.

I liked the presentation of the story- the interconnectedness of their experiences. It's an application of Newton's 3rd law of motion (which states that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction). Just like how someone else's athlete's foot become the reason for another's sweet riches; how the despair of having been bullied be the same reason for his freedom; or how being the teacher, he actually got the better lesson, more than he has bargained for. Stanley did that and in the end he gained friends and respect. All in all, Holes is not about big excavations, it's about filling the gaps. It talked about racism, crossing beyond borders. It talked about family and camaraderie. It talked about keeping your promises and breaking barriers. It talked about being a better person. And yes, even added the perks of enjoying a big onion bulb.

When someone digs a hole out there in the vast universe, there'd be a lot of soil/dirt displaced. Imagine them as stories unburdened from some remote keeper. So what do we do with these soil/dirt/story? We place them inside our own gaps, enriching us such that our hole becomes full, we come out as a whole person.

PS.
IF you wonder about my friend, last time I've heard, their parents are together again. He quit hunting for treasures and stuck with those that are far more precious, his own family.
40 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holes.

message 1: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos Yay! ^.^
Ang kyot lang talaga neto...
Hope you'll like it as well.

Ranee found it in booksale. might as well try it. hardbound pa.hehe.

message 3: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos One of your best reviews, Ranee! Heart-warming and touching. :)

Ranee salamat Jzhun! ikaw kaya nagbook push nito.

message 5: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos Ranee wrote: "salamat Jzhun! ikaw kaya nagbook push nito."

Ako ba? Awww! Nyahaha! :D

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly the most original description of the sex act by a girl i've read: "...enriching us such that our hole becomes full, we come out as a whole person."

Ranee Joselito wrote: "the most original description of the sex act by a girl i've read: "...enriching us such that our hole becomes full, we come out as a whole person.""

Did not intentionally tie it with conception! I hope my mind would be that keen when I reach your age! I had suspicions that this book was more complex for a kid to take, it's much clearer now. :)

Lakeisha I know Stanley teach zero how to read and write

Ranee Lakeisha wrote: "I know Stanley teach zero how to read and write"

yes he did. And as he taught Zero the basics of reading and writing, Stanley gained a valuable friend, so in the end, he got the better deal.

Yoana Voicu i loved ur review

Ranee Yoana wrote: "i loved ur review"

Thanks!

Tom the Mesa Engineer Haws You are quite a writer!

Ranee Tom the Mesa Engineer wrote: "You are quite a writer!"

Thanks Tom! Great reviews are inspired by great novels, Holes is an example of it.

Cole Klotz lol watched the moive u should watch it is asowem

Ranee cole klotz wrote: "lol watched the moive u should watch it is asowem"

is this the movie where Shia Lebouf played the role of Stanley Yelnats?

Cole Klotz have u watched it yet?

message 17: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily Just wondering: what do you think the climax is? I think it's when (SPOILER) Zero and Stanley find the chest/lizard nest. No one agrees with me tho...

Ranee Lily wrote: "Just wondering: what do you think the climax is? I think it's when (SPOILER) Zero and Stanley find the chest/lizard nest. No one agrees with me tho..."

Well this was the big reveal, so it could be considered as the climax because after this, the story sort of focused on the outcome/ tying of those loose ends. What was the perspective of the others?

Trinity SPOOOOOOIIIILLLLEEERRRR ALLLEEERRRTTTT

Trinity Ranee, quit copying people. It's rude u know..

Trinity I don't remember the lizard chest in the book, only in the movie.

Ranee Sorry Trinity, you have been mistaken. Desktop version of goodreads has this reply feature where it automatically "copies" what the person being replied to wrote. One good thing about that feature is that it prompts that person directly that a "reply" has been made. To differentiate my reply from their initial comment, you can see that it is italicized and it is in a form of a quote.
I am currently using the app version and like you would only see the first part. Sadly that would only show the quote form and not the entire statement. As you can see, I dutifully answer queries of people who takes time to comment. If you will open this page in its desktop version, you will gladly see (i hope with satisfaction) my replies from other people above.
If you do not remember the chest/lizard scene, I suggest you reread the book.

message 23: by Mothwing (new)

Mothwing I may have enjoyed your review a lot more that the actual novel. Thanks!

Ranee Mothwing wrote: "I may have enjoyed your review a lot more that the actual novel. Thanks!"

Thank you. ☺

message 25: by Valerie (new)

Valerie very good review! it was very interesting .