Connie's Reviews > Pink and Say

Pink and Say by Patricia Polacco

Mar 16, 11

bookshelves: middle-school
Read in March, 2011

I was helping in my daughter's 5th grade class while they read this book in a group setting. It is based on a true civil war story, which has a very sad ending. I am grateful it was passed down from generation to generation, recorded for us to read and know of what happened during the midst of that war.
I live in a fairly religious community, so it didn't surprise me in the least that the children were quite uncomfortable reading the words God and Lord. I was pleased that they felt comfortable enough to say to me that they didn't want to read those words and asked if they could just skip over it, as we were taking turns reading out loud. I told them that would be an acceptable thing to do. I am glad they are so respectful when it comes to deity. I did explain to them that the people in the book were just as religious and respectful as they were being. That they weren't defaming or being flippant so it would be okay to read it the way it was written if they felt comfortable in doing so. I still didn't hear any of them speak those words out loud.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pink and Say.