Laura's Reviews > Finnikin of the Rock

Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

Dec 11, 11

bookshelves: ya, fantasy, own-book, other-worlds, for-reading-challenges, witches-sorcerors-magic, thieves, reviewed
Read from December 03 to 11, 2011

Fantasy can sometimes be difficult for people to get into. And YA fantasy can get tiresome because its characters and relationships can often be far too often similar. What Finnikin of the Rock is like is Tigana-lite. That's not a bad thing considering the fact that Tigana is incredibly dense and heart wrenching and at times difficult to get through.

The people in Finnikin are exiled from their homeland because the country of Lumatere has been cursed. No one can enter and no one can leave. The royal family slaughtered and an imposter king (responsible for the royal family's deaths) sits on the throne. When they find out that the heir to the throne might still be alive, Finnikin and others believe they might have finally found their way home.

In a lot of ways Finnikin is a commentary on social inequalities and apartheid. The people of Lumatere who have been stuck outside of their country are not welcome anywhere they go. Although some countries tolerate them more than others, the truth is that they live in camps and hovels and are still kept very separate from the countries' inhabitants. And in the places that are more hostile they have to deal with atrocities and massacres and slave traders.

What I enjoyed most about this book was watching the relationships evolve, although sometimes I was a little bewildered by people's behaviors. For instance, Finnikin and Evanjalin were so hot and cold, which got frustrating because I couldn't always understand what caused the changes in their regard for one another.

Because I was reading this book knowing that the sequel is Froi of the Exiles, I got incredibly excited when I found out the thief of Sarnak's name. I was already interested in his character because I could see the purpose of his character. He was the Han Solo of the book (if Han Solo was a little more reprehensible and had tried to rape Princess Leia...). But no matter how bad he was, you could see that Froi's attitude toward Finnikin and Evanjalin as changing. And since I enjoyed reading the parts from his POV, I'm very excited to read the next book.

I feel a warning must be given (and part of the reason why I couldn't give the book 5 stars) that this book deals heavily with prophecies and fate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finnikin of the Rock.

12/03/2011 page 72