Jeff Raymond's Reviews > Bottom of the 33rd: Hope, Redemption, and Baseball's Longest Game

Bottom of the 33rd by Dan Barry

Apr 11, 11

bookshelves: read-sports, arcs-manuscripts, goodreads-first-reads-wins, books-i-own
Read from April 06 to 10, 2011

If you're a baseball fan, you understand how the pace, the flow, the movement of a game works. There's so much to a game, the little things, the details not only of the current game but of the impact they'll have on other games. I like reading books about baseball, but this is probably the first baseball book that has gotten the real feel of the game for me.

In 1981, the Pawtucket Red Sox and Rochester Red Wings played a baseball game that ended up going 33 innings. Cal Ripken Jr played in the game, as did Wade Boggs, Bruce Hurst, and a number of other marginally famous to instantly forgotten players. This book excels in that it takes a significant amount of time with each player involved, both then and, if possible, today. It's perfect how the book handles the entire thing, the absurdity of the game and of a professional baseball player's life itself.

The book has a very literary, poetic tone that sometimes drags the narrative down. With that said, I won this off of a Goodreads contest and I'm glad I got to read it, because it was, like that game, something special.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bottom of the 33rd.