Amanda L's Reviews > Reflections in a Golden Eye

Reflections in a Golden Eye by Carson McCullers

Apr 01, 11

bookshelves: fiction-to-escape, ben-reads, our-collection-need-more-shelves, 2011, scanda-lit
Read from March 21 to 23, 2011

Subtle and intricate unrequited ties among characters without going soap-opera-y-dramatic. Each character is wholly integral to the story and is outstandingly conveyed in excerpts that are punctuated by other character illustrations. Yet each character serves as a beacon for another or a few others to elucidate their contrasting natures. How this woman can understand so much of the nuances of human psychology is utterly astounding.

Addresses masculinity and femininity and the blurred line distinguishing them in a way I only have pinpointed McCullers to be capable. (If anyone has any recos/ challenges to this assertion, by all means SHARE!). Also addresses the burdensome social expectations on women of the era with exquisite grace and, most importantly, without encouraging any pity from the reader.

Not really action or plot driven until the last third, but I am more than satisfied with a character-driven novel, in general. At its core, it illustrates the (inevitable) shortfalls of marriages of convenience, personal complacency-- often onset by the social norms and the 'ignore my own needs' mentality that was basically part and parcel to the era, and failure to take responsibility for one's actions/ assign blame to others.

Carson McCullers, you rulzess'is. Tragically, one of the more under-appreciated, under-read authors I can name. Read her!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reflections in a Golden Eye.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Amanda L a mere 20 pages in and I already love it! such vivid imagery and faceted characters (i.e, "Sexually the Captain obtained within himself a delicate balance between male and female elements, with the susceptibilities of both the sexes and the active powers of neither.")

More complex sentence structure than Heart is a Lonely Hunter, though not sure that it could ever result in a more compelling or beautiful story.