Sunflower's Reviews > The Titus Mandate

The Titus Mandate by Ted Bigelow

Mar 16, 11

bookshelves: 2011-book-reviews, first-wild-card-tour

From discussing the basis of a church, to the background of the church history from Matthews to Galataians, "The Titus Mandate" is an insightful look into what a church is and isn't, that everything from the new Christian to the veteran follower of Christ would be interested in reading.

In the era of mega-churches, the small hometown church to home churching, "The Titus Mandate" will help the everyman understand the importance of fellowship with fellow believers while at the same time, providing knowledge of what is a fruitful church and what is sometimes a church that is both not fruitful, but in some cases can also be harmful and what to look for.

As the author, Ted Bigelow, shared,
"The church is supposed to be the safest place on earth for Christians, so why is it often a place of deep dissatisfaction? Many Christians suffer from difficult church situations and are unsure how to live and worship with such stress, let alone grow in the midst of it. Much of this pain comes from being under poor church leadership. "

Going to church shouldn't be stressful...it should be about growth and fellowship, but sadly many find themselves either as new followers who are unable to find or know how to find a church home, or who have been going to a church that has been less about following our Father, either way, "The Titus Mandate" is a must read for an understanding of how a true church should be.

There is no such thing as a perfect church, but there is such a thing of a church that instead of strengthening and encouraging its followers, can hurt their followers as shared in this one story from, "The Titus Mandate":

"Having lived apart from Christ all her years Sheryl first assumed this was a normal part of church. To some extent it felt familiar, but at the same time she felt scared, and even powerless. Some in the church tried to calm her fears by explaining that occasional spats and disagreements are marks of a spiritually healthy church. But she knows better now because the church ended up breaking her heart. Without anybody really meaning to, the people grew loveless. They passed each other in the hallways with only a nod and sat apart from each other on Sunday mornings. The frequent church meetings exposed frustrations as people vented disappointments and differences. Then all too quickly, it seemed, people just began to “disappear.”

In, "The Titus Mandate", it continues:

"Maybe the simple truth has been there all along but we have ignored it because we only wanted a comfortable church, not a holy one. Or, it could be that we have a hard time seeing spiritual danger when we get used to it week after week. Some of us aren’t the brightest sheep in the fold. Too often, it seems, it is only after we are deeply hurt that we stop long enough to ask the right questions, and really pay attention to what God says in Scripture.

Like Sheryl in her earlier days, we may be ignoring the warning signs in our church: unresolved conflict, practicing politics, and appointing unqualified leaders. Even with our eyes wide open we find ourselves unable to resolve church tensions.

Or worse, we feel powerless to do anything constructive about it. Sometime we are told that conflicts are an important and even necessary part of church life. But in fact they are disturbing warning signs that expose the enemy’s foothold. Worse, they directly violate God’s Word.

To counteract these problems, Christians all over the world are going back to Scripture and implementing The Titus Mandate in their churches. ”

Is your church practicing, Titus 1:5.

Read "The Titus Mandate" to find out what to look out for and the understanding of what the fellowship of believers is like.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Titus Mandate.