Brian DiNitto's Reviews > Scrawl

Scrawl by Mark Shulman

Apr 05, 11

I like how you are taken into this kid's world, and you see why he does some of the things he does. Funny at times, "bad guy" portrayed all wrong emerges as "poor good guy", with character growth. I will get flack for my next statement, but there are these incredibly glowing reviews from mostly women about this book. Does the average woman feel the need to rehab. the bad boy? Does this resonate with their being?
The last book I finished before this one was Pearl Buck's The Good Earth. In my discussion group yesterday, many of the young women ripped the main character Wang Lung apart, even though he was a good person living within his cultural constraints. In Goodreads reviews, I see many women cutting him up also. In fiction, to me, it isn't popular to be a good guy, you need to be flawed and then fixed to be popular. Chalk it up to a more interesting story. However, I see parallels in real life.

Let me put on my heavy flak jacket, for I see the same theme in religion. Twice I have asked fervent religious friends where my final resting place will be with my great humanitarian actions, but with no belief in God. You guessed it, the firey cauldron below. However, their response for a murderer who repents and accepts belief is Heaven. We love to sin and then go free, at least for men. Women are treated harsher in this equation.

A book comes alive when it makes you question your own world.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scrawl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Diane Mohney "A book comes alive when it makes you question your own world" - this is why we should all read a variety of good literature - it opens up your mind (and heart).

Diane Mohney Brian, You have just given me a great topic for discussion that will add to the usual book talk that I do in the classrooms. I just read another book like this one with a female teacher trying to change a "bad boy" student. In defense of my gender though, we try to help our girls too with advice or a shoulder to lean on.