Adela Clancy's Reviews > Forbidden

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

I'm a big believer in the ethic that two people who love each other shouldn't be judged or ridiculed or forced apart or any of that, no matter the situation. I've always believed that, always will. As long as the situation is consentual and the two truly love each other and want to be together, in my opinion, let them. In fact, I would support them every time. It just seems wrong to create laws and outcast people just because of who they decide to love. Why should that matter? I mean sure I can see why incest is wrong, but after reading this book, I get it. Which is one reason why Forbidden really got to me.

Maya and Lochan, for me, were insanely relatable. In some cases whole paragraphs of inner-mind monologues would be things that had passed through my own mind at times. This made me sympathize with these characters and love them, root for them until the end. Their family situation was both filled with love and fucked-up situations, which made me root for them all the more. Even their siblings, who seemed to make things harder at times, had their moments where you could see why Lochan and Maya did everything they did to prevent their separation by child-services.

I'm not usually one for dramatic books or movies because, quite frankly, I don't like crying or feeling like crap when everything turns to crap, although you're expecting it when you go into it because it is a drama. But still, you cry. I cried. Anyone would in reading this book. Every chapter changes between Maya and Lochan's POV and the inner turmoil presented at what was happening between the siblings as their feelings progressed and each tried to hold back, knowing without a doubt that it was wrong, was enough to break my heart. They knew what they felt was wrong, they knew they shouldn't have done anything or let it continue, yet it seemed some of their only joy was in each other. Forbidden will give you a whole new view of what you think of incest, because you can't really understand a relationship completely without getting a front row seat at the thoughts of the pair within, which is exactly what you will get with this heart-wrenching story of fear, responsibility, independence, and Love between a family that just happens to form to something more.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forbidden.

Quotes Adela Liked

Tabitha Suzuma
“At the end of the day it's about how much you can bear, how much you can endure. Being together, we harm nobody; being apart, we extinguish ourselves.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“There are no laws, no boundaries on feelings.We can love each other as much and as deeply as we want.No one, Maya, no one can ever take that away from us.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“It's horrible being ashamed of someone you care about; it eats away at you. And if you let it get to you, if you give up the fight and surrender, eventually that shame turns to hate.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“He is my soul mate, my fresh air, the reason I look forward to getting up every morning.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“It's always nice being wanted. Even if it's by the wrong person.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“I mean, at the end of the day, what the hell does it matter who I end up with if it can't be you?”

Tabitha Suzuma
“But I don't want to be fine, not if it means she's going to let go of my hand; not if it means we're going to go back to being polite strangers.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“This whole time, my whole life, that harsh, stony path was leading up to this one point. I followed it blindly, stumbling along the way, scraped and weary, without any idea of where it was leading, without ever realizing that with every step I was approaching the light at the end of a very long, dark tunnel. And now that I've reached it, now that I'm here, I want to catch it in my hand, hold onto it forever to look back on - the point at which my new life really began.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“At what point do you give up - decide enough is enough? There is only one answer really. Never.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“You can close your eyes to the things you do not want to see, but you cannot close your heart to the things you do not want to feel.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“You've always been my best friend, my soul mate, and now I've fallen in love with you too. Why is that such a crime?”
tags: maya

Tabitha Suzuma
“I might appear confident and chatty, but I spend most of my time laughing at jokes I don't find funny, saying things I don't really mean - because at the end of the day that's what we're all trying to do: fit in, one way or another, desperately trying to pretend we're all the same.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“As the light begins to intensify, so does my misery, and I wonder how it is possible to hurt so much when nothing is wrong.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“We can love each other.' I swallow hard to ease the constriction in my throat. 'There are no laws, no bundaries on feelings. We can love each other as much and as deeply as we want. No one, Maya, no one can never take that away from us.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“Out of the millions and millions of people that inhabit this planet, he is one of the tiny few I can never have.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“Being together, we harm nobody; being apart, we extinguish ourselves.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“only a matter of time before it broke through our fragile web of denial,
forcing us to confront the truth and acknowledge who we are:
two people in love – a love that nobody else could possibly understand.”
Tabitha Suzuma, Forbidden

06/13/2011 "I just got the ARC in the mail! I can't wait to start it! :D"
06/16/2011 page 136
31.0% "Oh. My. God. I'm in love with this book. I can already tell that it's going to break my heart. These people are amazing, I can actually relate pretty well with them. I'm probably going to cry before the end of the book, it's deep, and I love it! :)"
06/17/2011 page 220
51.0% "I think I'm going to cry..."