Sarah's Reviews > English Major

Mar 16, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: general-fiction
Read from March 16 to 17, 2011

This definitely was not a book that I would normally choose to read. I was looking for an audiobook for work and the library had a very limited selection with no wait list in the format that I needed. That said, it wasn't a bad read. There were many humorous/witty moments, but a book about a 60 year old man's self re-discovery isn't something that I can relate to. Also, I was totally on Cliff's side (his ex-wife seemed terrible) until about 3/4 of the way through the book. He isn't much better than her and I found that I sincerely began to dislike him. The book became much harder to finish after that. If I had picked this up in print form, it would have gone back to the library.

Maybe in another 20 or so years it would be more relate-able? (I doubt it.) Cliff was quite witty and the dialogue would make me laugh right when I was contemplating shelving the book. Another point that kept me interested was that Cliff and Viv were from an area in Michigan that I am familiar with. Several of his oddball phrases and stories about his father reminded me of my own family members.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read English Major.