Hannah's Reviews > BoneMan's Daughters

Mar 16, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: contemporary, thrillers, mysteries
read count: 1

Ted Dekker is purported to write gripping stories that keep you up until three o'clock in the morning.

I must have missed the "gripping" element somewhere.

While the storyline had great potential, Dekker wrote with less zeal than I expected and hardly showed his Christian colors. BoneMan's Daughters is the story of your average Joe searching for his kidnapped daughter: he does whatever it takes.

And, surprisingly, gets away with it.

*spoiler alert!*

He kidnaps the District Attorney and physically harms him. He incapacitates his daughter's kidnapper and sets the house the kidnapper is hidden in on fire.

And then he and his daughter walk away from the blazing inferno and, supposedly, live happily ever after.

Whatever happened to justice? While losing your daughter to a kidnapper-meets-serial killer figure is psychologically stressful and painful, does that mean you can abandon all forms of right-and-wrong and adopt a mindset akin to situational ethics?

Those elements, coupled with basically God-less characters and the fact that no real spiritual lesson is learned (except the one about loving your family...but even the secular culture can write about that), leave Ted Dekker in my dust.

I won't be reading much of his stuff any time in the future.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read BoneMan's Daughters.