Bonnie's Reviews > The Twelve

The Twelve by Justin Cronin

Nov 06, 12

bookshelves: pn-vampires, dystopian-post-apocalyptic, adult
Read from October 16 to November 05, 2012

I felt like I waited half a lifetime for this to be released and I'll admit, I'm pretty damn disappointed. The Passage blew me away and is one of my all-time favorites/ The Passage really took some patience and focus because Justin Cronin's writing is so intricately detailed that it's incredibly easy to miss something important but it was SO worth it. It all began with several individual story lines that had no apparent relation with one another but as time progressed they started to intersect with one another to form one hugely multi-faceted story. The Twelve brings that writing style back into the spotlight with a new array of characters and new storylines.

There were such an immense amount of characters and intersecting storylines from The Passage that I was more than a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to understand what was going on in The Twelve. Fortunately, we're given a refresher in the form of biblical writings from "The Book of Twelves". I thought that the way it was done in the prologue was sheer genius. (Admittedly, I was a bit skeptical at first by the biblical approach he took and continued to take throughout the extent of the book. It threw me a bit but Justin Cronin is a genius and it managed to work out.)

It's strange though, because if you really think about it the original story line from The Passage was solely focused on government conspiracies and the creation of a virus that went completely wrong and was unleashed on the world after the virus was given to death-row-inmates. In The Twelve, the story is centered around a city where individuals are utilizing vampire blood in order to achieve immortality. A far cry from the original story, which was a bit of a disappointment because I would have loved to find out more about the original Twelve.

The main difference for me between The Passage and The Twelve is how the multiple storylines inevitably intersected. With The Passage it was seamless and once everything came together there was the big 'Ahhh' moment where everything was clear and the light bulb went on. For me, I think when the 'Ahhh' moment was intended to happen my reaction was more along the lines of 'Uh... I still don't get it.' Completely riveting story lines, complex and detailed to the max, but ultimately lacked in coming full circle and left me with far too many questions than answers.

The City of Mirrors, the final installment, isn't due out for 2 years but I will of course be reading it. I'm hoping that questions are finally answered and aren't left as they have been: a bunch of hypothetical possibilities.

________________________________________

Update 3/8/2012: Checkout the new EW Magazine tomorrow for a brand new excerpt from The Twelve!

Preview of 'The Twelve' available here:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Twelve.

10/19/2012
18.0% "Fingers crossed I have more time this weekend to spend on this. :)" 4 comments
10/24/2012
31.0% "Chapter 22" 4 comments
10/25/2012
51.0% "Chapter 33"
10/28/2012
61.0% "Chapter 40"
11/01/2012
64.0% "Holy moly. This books needs some fine print "Requires extreme patience and determination.""
11/05/2012
89.0% "Finally. There's a light at the end of the tunnel."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Checkman (new) - added it

Checkman Very exciting.

Beverly J. I can't wait! Fantastic book

Sjhomes one of the best books I have read in 10 years I cannot wait for this one!

Mary Helen I shouldn't have read this...only made me remember how much I liked the first book & how long away 2012 is!

Bonnie Mary Helen wrote: "I shouldn't have read this...only made me remember how much I liked the first book & how long away 2012 is!"

I think I think about this book on a weekly basis. I'm so excited too! :D

message 6: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca thanks so much for posting the link to the excerpt. I've been dying to quench my thirst for more of The Passage. :-)

Bonnie Rebecca wrote: "thanks so much for posting the link to the excerpt. I've been dying to quench my thirst for more of The Passage. :-)"

You and me both! :) I can't wait for this to release!

Mary Helen Release date of Oct 16?!? Argh, that's just painful...

Bonnie Your're telling me!

message 10: by Casi (new) - added it

Casi K. October??? Ugh! I can't wait!

Bonnie You and me both. I've been excited for this one for far too long. :D

message 12: by Kel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kel bring on release date... I'm so excited!!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Too bad you didn't like it more. I'm happy I'm doing the audiobook route on this one. 2 years for book 3? Damn.

message 14: by Casi (new) - added it

Casi K. Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker wrote: "Too bad you didn't like it more. I'm happy I'm doing the audiobook route on this one. 2 years for book 3? Damn."

Audiobook sounds like the way to go. Good idea, Michelle.

Bonnie Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker wrote: "Too bad you didn't like it more. I'm happy I'm doing the audiobook route on this one. 2 years for book 3? Damn."

I think this would be fantastic audiobook but I'd likely be so discouraged at home long it would take me to get through. I have a hard time with long books. lol

message 16: by Mark (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mark Matthews This is the first book in forever I wanted the minute it was released, but, like you, I was incredibly disapointed to the point of a DNF.

Bonnie Yeah I had to maintain a lot of patience to get through this one. I'm hoping that the finale makes it all worth it.

message 18: by Chuck (new) - added it

Chuck Mallott I totally agree. You said exactly what I was thinking.

Ericka I definitely 100% agree with everything here.

Litchick (is stuck in the 19th century) Craaaaaaap. Loved the first too. This one is sitting on my shelf staring at me with lonely eyes.

Bonnie First one was amazing. This was a big letdown. Hoping the last one redeems it all.

Litchick (is stuck in the 19th century) I think I may wait until it comes out to see if the third redeems the second.

Bonnie I have high hopes it does... The Twelve just had middle book syndrome. lol

Litchick (is stuck in the 19th century) Gotcha. I hate it when that happens. I've been running into second book blues over and over again after loving the first in the series. Starting to get depressing.

Bonnie Yeah, that's the problem with series'.

message 26: by John (new) - rated it 2 stars

John Lynch I loved the passage. Didn't like the twelve at all

Evelyn and Ricky Matheny Very disappointing after the passage..this one seemed thrown together to make publishers happy...not sure i will invest time in reading last book

Marina You said, "With The Passage it was seamless and once everything came together there was the big 'Ahhh' moment where everything was clear and the light bulb went on. For me, I think when the 'Ahhh' moment was intended to happen my reaction was more along the lines of 'Uh... I still don't get it.'" THANK YOU - THIS was my experience exactly. I had to go back and re-read a few parts to try to reconnect the dots, which I didn't have to do in the Passage. I'm glad I wasn't the only one; I felt like I was a literary dunce, lol.

Bonnie hahaha Glad you agree, Marina. I'm hoping the final book is as clear as The Passage was.