Lori's Reviews > Peony in Love

Peony in Love by Lisa See

Mar 29, 11

bookshelves: 5-star-reads, my-bookgroup-made-me-do-it, literary-fiction, my-favorites, chick-women
Read from March 16 to 29, 2011

What a lovely, beautifully written book. Completely absorbing. I would not at all classify this as a "love story" in the traditional sense, but as a story about the status of women and a tale about women coming to love themselves and respect their own value as intellectual, caring, yearning individuals at a time when society tells them the the opposite -- that women have no worth, other than ornamental or childbearing. To me, the historical background for this book gave it real meaning -- and there are morals here from which we can still learn, even today. I love Chinese poetry and, in a way, felt that this book was written with the essence of that verse in mind, giving the language a light, lilting, almost singing quality that captured the beauty in a time that had much ugliness. Outstanding.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Peony in Love.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Hoenig I tried to read this but couldn't get into it. I absolutely loved Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, though. I will be interested to hear what you think!

Lori So far, I think it is very beautifully written and feels almost like an old Chinese watercolor in its imagery. So, I suppose I have already gotten further than you and really like it. It is very absorbing for me...I even missed my subway stop while reading it yesterday!

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Hoenig Glad to hear you liked it so much! She has a new book out next month, too.

Lori I finished it. I don't see if my review posted but it is there somewhere. Am anxious to read her other books, certainly!