Petra Xtra Crunchy's Reviews > The Paris Wife

The Paris Wife by Paula McLain

Mar 24, 12

bookshelves: fiction
Read from March 16 to 19, 2011

Several lessons to be learned from Ernest Hemingway's first wife on how he got his second one:

1) If you can't be sweet and submissive at least be lively and rich.
2) If you still have post-pregnancy weight from a baby your husband didn't really want and have to stay in to look after it, then don't let the lively and rich (and better-dressed) woman come on holiday with you. Regularly.
3) If you wake up to find that you and your husband have been joined by a naked female on his side of the bed - what are you waiting for? You should be gone before they wake up.

Stupid woman.

If you are the woman who hopes to be the second wife and you did a lot of shit trying to get your man away from his wife, realise that there are a lot of women out there at least as rich, lively and worshipping as you, and what's more they have (as you had) the advantage of novelty. But she didn't.

Stupid woman.

He went through two more wives after that and then shot himself.

I knew Margaux Hemingway, one of his grand-daughters, and she used to talk of shooting herself. Said that suicide ran in her family. But she didn't. She took an overdose.

St.... .....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Paris Wife.

Books Ring Mah Bell very stupid woman!

Patricia I think Ernest was one to follow his passions, Hadley was not. She used Ernest to experience the world and get away from the Midwest. Instead of getting all butt-hurt about her emotionally-neglectful husband cheating, she should have taken a french lover!

Patricia Or taken up a job in vaudeville as a pianist, lived like Colette for awhile.

Theresa Of course, you presume that Pauline seduced Ernest and not the other way around.

Petra Xtra Crunchy Theresa wrote: "Of course, you presume that Pauline seduced Ernest and not the other way around."

A woman who respects her friend does not go on holiday with them for extended periods and out with the husband while his wife remains at home. Getting into bed with a man who is already in bed with his (sleeping) wife, does not show the reticence of a maiden who has to be seduced! There isn't any difference anyway between a seducer and one who is putting herself out there to be seduced.

Jillian hahahaha...Well said. Hilarious review:)

Petra Xtra Crunchy Thank you. :-) But was it accurate?

Peribo Yes it was accurate as was Jillian's comment. It was hilarious.

Sherri Keller 3) If you wake up to find that you and your husband have been joined by a naked female on his side of the bed - leave no DNA or fingerprints

Fixed it.

Petra Xtra Crunchy *Wide eyes* Are you suggesting murder Sherri?

Sherri Keller You'll never prove a thing! Muahahahaha!

message 12: by Meg ♥ (new) - added it

Meg ♥ Ohh, I really want to read this. I've wanted to for ages, actually. Why is it that stupid women are so irritating, but fun to read about all the same?

Petra Xtra Crunchy Meg ♥ wrote: "Why is it that stupid women are so irritating, but fun to read about all the same?"

Not sure why. The schadenfreude of banana skins maybe?

message 14: by Maryanne12345678 (new)

Maryanne12345678 Margays was his granddaughter - the daughter of his eldest son, Jack.

message 15: by Maryanne12345678 (new)

Maryanne12345678 Margaux - system auto corrected me.

Petra Xtra Crunchy Of course, I made a mistake (corrected now). Thank you.

message 17: by Dawn (& Ron) (new)

Dawn (& Ron) I've been on the fence about this book but loved you review and it helped clear up something for me. Somehow I kept getting this book confused with Suite Française, for some reason the covers got messed up in my mind. Thanks to your review it has cleared that up for me and I will no longer confuse them. Although now I'm not so sure if I can handle that much stupidity.

message 18: by Petra Xtra Crunchy (last edited Mar 27, 2012 04:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Petra Xtra Crunchy Dawn (& Ron) wrote: "I remember when Margaux killed herself and all the news talking about it being a family trait. I felt bad for her sister, I assume you probably knew her too. "

No, I didn't know any of the other Hemingways except Margaux. She was doing a modelling job that went on for a few days when I knew her. I never saw her after that.

Martha Excellent review Petra. very insightful and right on!

Petra Xtra Crunchy Martha wrote: "Excellent review Petra. very insightful and right on!"

Thank you. I thought it was unintentionally a very funny book. How a marriage can totally mash-up because he's sure he's the prince and she's the princess and ever-grateful that the damn frog kissed her. Marriages are partnerships not fairy stories.

Eliza Kind of makes me think of King Henry VIII

Petra Xtra Crunchy Eliza wrote: "Kind of makes me think of King Henry VIII"

A lot of men, given the opportunity, can be very autocratic in every area of their lives.

Bettyjeanyoungyahoo.com Great conversation. I just started it last night and like the writing style of the author.

Petra Xtra Crunchy Bettyjeanyoungyahoo.com wrote: "Great conversation. I just started it last night and like the writing style of the author."

I wonder if you will still like it by the end? Hadleigh is like a new friend who once they get to know you really well stops being such fun and starts whining about all their problems.

message 25: by Laima (new) - added it

Laima Great review, Petra!

message 26: by Ixan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ixan I saw that comment Rasa Raceviciute before it was deleted. I think it is you that is stupid. Rude, stupid and a troll to boot.

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan I saw it too and wanted to respond but couldn't think of a civil and effective way to do so.

It did make most sense to just delete the "comment" rather than leave it. Ugh.

message 28: by Laima (new) - added it

Laima there will always be trolls, unfortunately

message 29: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan There used to be VERY few. Encouraging a zillion members means we have so many more now than in the "old days" here. It's a shame.

Petra Xtra Crunchy I guess some people just really get great personal satisfaction insulting strangers. Sort of like a kid spraying a rude word and their name on someone they don't know's wall.

There are other, less rude, more friendly ways of expressing one's non-agreement with a review and hopefully adding why. That can turn into an interesting discussion.

She's a translator. Imagine having to deal with someone like her if you had a disagreement with her translation. It would be a nightmare.

message 31: by Laima (new) - added it

Laima Petra,
you've had several bad trolls lately - including authors.

Petra Xtra Crunchy I don't know why.

message 33: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan Petra X wrote: "I don't know why."

I don't know why anyone does. Goodreads should kick all who troll off the site, and try to keep them off, as they no doubt will keep creating more names.

message 34: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie You are a great reviewer Petra. I.hate when people sound like the back of a book.

Petra Xtra Crunchy Stephanie wrote: "You are a great reviewer Petra. I.hate when people sound like the back of a book." That was a really nice compliment. Thank you very much *smiling hugely*

Gary  the Bookworm This is such a great review...Goodreads should figure out a way to publish this and some off the others gems on this site!

Petra Xtra Crunchy Prompted by your comment (thankyou :-)) I checked Google -Goodreads and found this review was on 20+ sites. Wow I'm famous, well not really, and I'm not Petra X either so it wouldn't matter anyway. But Goodreads does publish reviews all over the web and probably gets money for them too. If you go to Profile-Settings there is one that says, "allow partners of Goodreads to display my reviews".

Gary  the Bookworm Wow...it's goodreadsgate! And it's happening right under our noses. I just thanked Otis Chandler, too. Maybe I should ask to see his books.

Petra Xtra Crunchy You mean you want to see Otis' books or GR's books :-D ?

message 40: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Petra X wrote: "If you go to Profile-Settings there is one that says, "allow partners of Goodreads to display my reviews"....."

I've said no to that. I'd prefer to keep my reviews here.

Petra Xtra Crunchy I did for a while but I found that it didn't prevent people from quoting/copying my reviews on their sites so what was the point? Actually I think the point of the checkbox is that any of GR's partners will have to pay them to use my reviews, but anyone else is free to do it gratis anyway. Ridiculous.

message 42: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim That is ridiculous. I haven't looked to see if any of my reviews appear elsewhere. I doubt it though. Too dull.

Gary  the Bookworm Petra X wrote: "You mean you want to see Otis' books or GR's books :-D ?"

Both!!!

message 44: by Carol (new) - rated it 1 star

Carol With all the books to read before I die I have no time to read about stupid women -- I couldn't finish it. Love your review, though.

abmahoney For a long while I felt sorry for Hadley. Something about her seemed so weak. The scene when she was debating whether to dive into the ocean, was when I felt like I could rally behind someone who was rallying for herself. Not sure if I would call her stupid. I think she did the best she felt she could do and she was hopelessly in love.

Gary  the Bookworm Petra X wrote: "Prompted by your comment (thankyou :-)) I checked Google -Goodreads and found this review was on 20+ sites. Wow I'm famous, well not really, and I'm not Petra X either so it wouldn't matter anyway...."

Petra Xtra Crunchy Gary wrote: "I can't believe we were having this discussion 4 days before the Amazon acquisition. How prescient was that. ..."

Yeah, this review was in a few places. It actually appeared in more Bing results than Google. *shrug* I've now unchecked the 'share' box. I'm not against Otis doing very well in business, I congratulate him. I just don't want to be a sitting target for Amazon that is an unethical business and unlike most publishers and bookshops, book people in general, is firmly opposed to sharing the love.

Callie Smith Petra, thinking about doing this for my book club but haven't read it yet... Loved the review you gave. Did you still like the book in the end?

Petra Xtra Crunchy I wrote the review after I finished reading the book.

Suzanne Stroh Such fun reading this conversation! Thank you all.

« previous 1