Terence's Reviews > Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

Batman by Frank Miller

Apr 09, 11

bookshelves: graphic
Read from April 07 to 09, 2011

The story and tone of this reminded me of Watchmen quite a bit: humanity and its heroes are dark entities with agencies that are often puzzling, especially with respect to power and how it is used, granted, and given. I really thought this one had a strong start, but I'm not sure I liked the plot devices Miller employed to make his concluding arguments. I find mixing universes a somewhat hokey thing. The way Superman was used at the end--though I understood his function to the plot--distracted me. I wish Miller would have been able to use a different device, something in the Batman universe, to the same effect. Definitely an enjoyable read, but my lasting impression was that it could have been better, especially on the art side.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.

04/07/2011 page 58
26.0% "It took a little bit to get acclimated to the way in which the story is being told. That said, it's pretty badass from the word go."

message 1: by David (new)

David Frye One of the key works in comicdom. Shows that comics are not the "funnies". Enjoy!

Terence David wrote: "One of the key works in comicdom. Shows that comics are not the "funnies". Enjoy!"

Thanks! I did enjoy it, though the art didn't do that much for me, and I'm not sure I liked them using Superman, instead of someone else from the Batverse to serve a similar function. Any other titles you'd recommend? Next up is Gaiman's Sandman.