Caitlin's Reviews > The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Mar 16, 2011

Read from March 16 to 22, 2011

**I refeer to Catcher and the Rye sometimes as “Catcher” and perks of being a wallflower as “Perks”***
OK I know.
BLAH BLAH BLAH
He is a cry baby wannabe Holden Caulfield

But I Loved it. I think why so many dislike this book, is because they compare it to the Cathcer and the Rye which by the way I HATED …. At first …. I thought it was stupid and uneventful I was waiting for something exciting to happen, but uh it never did….sorry this review is about Perks of being a wall flower….i swear I am getting to it….. But that is just the thing when I actually read that book The Cathcer and the Rye I was in the 9th grade and to caught up in my generation to care about anyone elses. To me the book was outdated and I had trouble seeing past the male point of view. That is why I at first HATED The Catcher and the Rye. So I believe that some of the dislike for this Perks relates to why I disliked The Catcher and the Rye. Also people HATE it when the two are compared because the Catcher is the classic, and is well liked by many many more people for much much longer.
But I look at it like this…

When people say that this is like a modern day Catcher I take it to mean this:
Here is the character that we all know and understand, young adolescent boy trying to find himself, trying to grow up. It has always been done and it always will be done. I think that Perks does it well.
Perks is not a remake of Catcher, nor based off of it, though it may have similarities and be influenced by it, it does not make it an attempt to a companion novel. So many of the bad reviews focus on the fact that it is terrible….compared to Catcher.

Now I understand that there are a lot more intelligent people out there who just honestly did not like it. And that, is perfectly alright! But I also want to be sure that no one dislikes it because they think it is inaccurate. (I swear I read a review that did not like Perks strictly because her high school experience did not resemble Charlie’s…)

Mainly I think if you are not completely open to a character that is younger and is experiencing High school I can see why you would hate Perks.
But
I read it this year my senior year. Still young but learning more and more what it is to grow up. It was easy to finally understand this kind of character. Cause I am nearing the end of his journey…and starting a different one…. People say that this stuff didn’t happen to them but it happened to others. .. In some cases I can relate or even think of people that fit these characters. Sure they may not all be friends but their there. This book isn’t strictly about how accurate a typical high schoolers life is, it is a story a story written to make you think, a story that almost makes you a little nostalgic (if you are out or almost out of high school) It makes you excited, or maybe not feel so alone, you can relate and learn from it. But most of all you see in the beautiful innocent, and creative way Charlie thinks. Even if no freshman boy can think this way, it doesn’t take away from the beauty from the character that is Charlie.

As I go back and reread Catcher I still don’t like it too much …its not really my favorite….too hyper for me. (personally I feel Charlie takes things slower –most the time- which makes his story enjoyable to read)
But I can respect Catcher and understand it more and more. The thought behind it, the story it makes more sense. And Holden Caulfield becomes a more beautiful character in my mind aswell.

In short I LOVED PERKS and everyone should read it to gather there own opinion.
HAPPY READING!

P.S I also like this more then Catcher because for me it was easier to see the climax, or the point of the story after the first time I read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Quotes Caitlin Liked

Stephen Chbosky
“And in that moment, I swear we were infinite.”

Stephen Chbosky
“I am very interested and fascinated how everyone loves each other, but no one really likes each other.”
tags: moi

Stephen Chbosky
“There's nothing like deep breaths after laughing that hard. Nothing in the world like a sore stomach for the right reasons.”

Stephen Chbosky
“Once on a yellow piece of paper with green lines
And he called it "Chops"
because that was the name of his dog

And his teacher gave him an A
and a gold star
And his mother hung it on the kitchen door
and read it to his aunts
That was the year Father Tracy
took all the kids to the zoo

And he let them sing on the bus
And his little sister was born
with tiny toenails and no hair
And his mother and father kissed a lot
And the girl around the corner sent him a
Valentine signed with a row of X's

and he had to ask his father what the X's meant
And his father always tucked him in bed at night
And was always there to do it

Once on a piece of white paper with blue lines
he wrote a poem
And he called it "Autumn"

because that was the name of the season
And his teacher gave him an A
and asked him to write more clearly
And his mother never hung it on the kitchen door
because of its new paint

And the kids told him
that Father Tracy smoked cigars
And left butts on the pews
And sometimes they would burn holes
That was the year his sister got glasses
with thick lenses and black frames
And the girl around the corner laughed

when he asked her to go see Santa Claus
And the kids told him why
his mother and father kissed a lot
And his father never tucked him in bed at night
And his father got mad
when he cried for him to do it.

Once on a paper torn from his notebook
he wrote a poem
And he called it "Innocence: A Question"
because that was the question about his girl
And that's what it was all about
And his professor gave him an A

and a strange steady look
And his mother never hung it on the kitchen door
because he never showed her
That was the year that Father Tracy died
And he forgot how the end
of the Apostle's Creed went

And he caught his sister
making out on the back porch
And his mother and father never kissed
or even talked
And the girl around the corner
wore too much makeup
That made him cough when he kissed her

but he kissed her anyway
because that was the thing to do
And at three a.m. he tucked himself into bed
his father snoring soundly

That's why on the back of a brown paper bag
he tried another poem

And he called it "Absolutely Nothing"
Because that's what it was really all about
And he gave himself an A
and a slash on each damned wrist
And he hung it on the bathroom door
because this time he didn't think

he could reach the kitchen.”

Stephen Chbosky
“She wasn't bitter. She was sad, though. But it was a hopeful kind of sad. The kind of sad that just takes time. ”

03/16/2011 page 15