Julia's Reviews > A Discovery of Witches

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Read 61/ 579 pages

Academician and witch Diana Bishop (yes, of the Salem 1692 Bishops) discovers a manuscript in Oxford’s Bodleian Library that vampires, daemons and other witches want. And it gives the impression that it’s going to be a Romance novel… I am not in the mood for this, maybe I will be another time, or maybe it’s just too out there, today, even for me.

“These days vampires gravitated toward particle accelerators, projects to decode the genome, and molecular biology. Once they had flocked to alchemy, anatomy, and electricity. If it went bang, involved blood, or promised to unlock the secrets of the universe, there was sure to be a vampire around.” (17)

“Anyone who has read paperback bestsellers or even watched television knows that vampires are breathtaking, but nothing prepares you to actually see one. Their bone structures are so well honed that they seem chiseled by an expert sculptor. Then they move, or speak, your mind can’t absorb what you’re seeing. Every movement is graceful; every word is musical. And their eyes are arresting, which is precisely how they catch their prey.” (18)

So, not only are these vampires brilliant, this one will win a Noble Prize if the vampire community doesn’t stop it first, but he might as well sparkle. Did I mention that he’s also a creepy stalker?