Phanee's Reviews > Specials

Specials by Scott Westerfeld

May 24, 11

bookshelves: owned, read-in-2011
Read from May 11 to 13, 2011 — I own a copy

When I started reading this book, I wasn't really sure what to expect. I had enjoyed Uglies a lot and was a little disappointed by the second book in the series, Pretties. Before I start stating my opinion of this book, I have to say that this review will contain spoilers for anyone who has not read the first two books in the series. Consider yourselves warned!

In this installment of the Uglies series, Tally has progressed yet another level and she is now a Special. But she's not even a regular one at that; she is a special brand of Special (?), a Cutter, a team created by Dr Cable and led by Shay (who we saw as a Special at the end of Pretties).

This book was a lot better than the previous one, but still, nowhere as good as Uglies. The plot was a lot more interesting and there were some completely different things going on, which I actually did not expect. One thing I liked a lot about this book was that there was mention of other cities in the world other than the ones Tally had lived in and knew about (Crumblyville, Uglyville and New Pretty Town). It made the world a lot more real and believable.

Though again, quite sadly I must say, I did not like Tally. She comes off as a particularly selfish and rather stupid person. At the beginning of the book, she just seems to do whatever Shay tells her to do and as the book progresses, even though she does seem to still be able to make decisions for herself, she is still not very likeable. Another thing I liked was that Zane was not really featured in this book. It might sound rather nasty of me, but I really did not like Zane's character and I believe that he is responsible for the ruination of Tally's character.

To end this review, I am going to make a comment about the ending of this book. I can't say I expected it to happen in the way it happened, so I was pleasantly surprised by it. Though I didn't really like the part where 4-5 weeks went by in the space of a couple of paragraphs. Even though the author felt there wasn't much to say about that period of time, it nevertheless felt like a big gap to me, as things were sure to have been happening.

Originally published: http://funny-wool.blogspot.com/2011/0...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Specials.