Aaron Dalton's Reviews > The Queen of Attolia

Mar 16, 2011

liked it
Recommended for: Students who've read The Thief and want more
Read in October, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

The first book of the series, The Thief, was a promising outing for fantasy genre lovers like myself. We see so many troll slayings - it was great to see some more realistic fantasy fiction. That book took on an almost historical-fiction feeling.

Don't get your hopes up for The Queen of Attolia, though. I read it because I was intrigued by the characters and setting of the first book; and while they showed up in the second, it just wasn't the same. Not in a you-can-never-go-home-again sort of disappointment, just something I couldn't really put my finger on until I finished this one and started the next. Then, it dawned on me. The Queen and King books are in 3rd person, not 1st, and the Royal Thief just isn't the same when we see him from the outside.

This book is full of courtly intrigue in a world that only vaguely resembles our own. That is both positive and negative, because the author had a lot of latitude in an artistic sense, but without having any actual knowledge of the history of her world, the historical-fiction perspective was at times discombobulating. All that aside, I'd still recommend this book - just don't expect it to be as personable as the first.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen of Attolia.