Amanda's Reviews > Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Mar 29, 11

bookshelves: napoleonic-fantasy, trashy-fantasy, 4-and-5-stars
Recommended to Amanda by: Meg
Read from March 16 to 29, 2011

What a fun book! For being so long, it feels much shorter. Although, the size of my copy makes it PHYSICALLY hard to read-- I need to use both hands at all times, which, since I often read in bed before falling asleep with Athena on me demanding pets, makes it not ideal for bedtime reading.

But! So fun! I don't read a lot of historical fiction that has real people in it, so the bits with Byron were especially slightly jarring, but I love the way magic just fit in with the history of England so well, and I loved the fun of the plot. I couldn't decide who to root for half the time, because everyone got so foolish at points!

Only complaints: For being a book written by a lady, the ladies in this book get awfully neglected. I really want to hear more about Arabella and Lady Pole, but-- they got so glossed over. Which makes sense, as Mr. Norrell doesn't particularly like women, and Strange is a total bookworm. But all the time we spend in Stephen and Childermass's heads as well makes me think that maybe, we could have had a little more on the ladies, without disrupting things too much, especially considering what a large impact their enchantments had on the plot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

03/16/2011 page 71
7.0% "Quite liking it, but it took me awhile to get used to the affected writing style." 1 comment
03/25/2011 page 324
32.0% 1 comment
03/25/2011 page 462
45.0% "Ok, this book is totally fun now."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mhgoblue "Which makes sense, as Mr. Norrell doesn't particularly like women"

Did you love the part where Mrs. Strange returns and Mr. Norrell figures, since Jonathan didn't say much about it (really because he couldn't, he was too choked up), that meant Jonathan didn't care all that much? I thought that was probably the most romantic part of the book.

I love this book so much. The bad guy becoming the fairy knight! Jonathan sending Wellington a message in eggs! The raven king! The completely sick and messed up fairy tales in the footnotes! It's such a complete story. I adored it.