Juan Hovez's Reviews > Holy Bible: King James Version

Holy Bible by Anonymous

M_50x66
Feb 15, 08

I really don't get what the big deal is. The dialouge is wooden at best, and the love stories are stapled on. The gay zombie knife fight at the top of a waterfall is almost worth slogging through the Book of Obadiah, but I admit I just skipped ahead. The One True Faith? Maybe for the Reader's Digest crowd, but I just couldn't buy it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holy Bible.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Daniel Fowler Gay zombie knife fight, what?

message 2: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex /The One True Faith? Maybe for the Reader's Digest crowd, but I just couldn't buy it. /
Thats a bit arrogant dont you think? I just had a look at your bookshelf, you have half descent taste. So are you saying that everybody who trusts in the bible are low brow and ignorant were as you are sophisticated?

Paul 'Pezski' Perry i have got to go back and read the Gay Zombie Knife Fight! Genius!

Titus2teen What is wrong you people!?! This is how the world came to be! This is the history of the world! You may not like it, but you can't change history: You can't change the fact that JFK got shot! You can't change the fact that the WW1 and WW2 happened! But guess what? YOU CAN'T CHANGE IT!!! Wake up, realize the connections between the Holy Bible and the real world! Please! Come on people, PLEASE!!

Paul 'Pezski' Perry Titus2teen wrote: "What is wrong you people!?! This is how the world came to be! This is the history of the world! You may not like it, but you can't change history: You can't change the fact that JFK got shot! You c..."

Aww, that's so funny :D

Titus2teen Paul 'Pezski' wrote: "Titus2teen wrote: "What is wrong you people!?! This is how the world came to be! This is the history of the world! You may not like it, but you can't change history: You can't change the fact that ..."

How so? Also, sorry to have vented my rage like that, that wasn't a very good thing to do. Every body is entitled to their views, and I'm sorry if I offended anybody.

message 7: by Paul 'Pezski' (last edited Sep 05, 2012 04:07AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Paul 'Pezski' Perry Titus2teen wrote: "Paul 'Pezski' wrote: "Titus2teen wrote: "What is wrong you people!?! This is how the world came to be! This is the history of the world! You may not like it, but you can't change history: You can't..."

Not offended at all. I don't intend offence either.

If you mean that you believe the mythological stuff in the bible to be fact, then you are simple delusional. It is completely as odds with reality. The creation fable, the flood; these are all things that you have to ignore a massive amount of really obvious evidence to believe. Accepting them as allegory is one thing, but insisting they are factual flies in the face of reason.

Even leaving the magical stuff aside there s very little that has any historical referents. For instance, Moses and the exodus from Egypt never happened, there is not one single documented reference to Christ in the first century CE (although, on balance, he probably did exist but was one of literally hundreds messiahs in Judea at the time), returning to Bethlehem for the census is ludicrous. There is no evidence that anybody in the bible before King David actually existed at all, and the majority of things that do have some solidity are so enmeshed with fable and propaganda that they cannot be taken as facts any more than the Epic of Gilgamesh (from which several parts of the Old Testament is copied), the Mahabharata or the Iliad. So even treating it as a historical text can only be done with this in mind; most of it was passed down from several different cultures by a long line of oral retellings, altered and embellished as it went for various cultural and political reasons (the way, say, that the King Arthur myth has been told in different ways to represent Christian values or pagan, supporting the status quo or revolution). Even the bits written with the historical timescale - St Paul's parts, for instance - were written for a specific political purpose and either colour the facts to that end or, frankly, are made up to suit.

I hope that answers any thought you have although, if you are arguing from a position of faith I somehow doubt that it will.

message 8: by Sharto (new)

Sharto Gay zombie knife-fight?
Maybe I will read it...