Layla 's Reviews > Lothaire

Lothaire by Kresley Cole

My rating: 4.5/5 stars
First line: “What fresh humiliation does this day bring?” Ivana the Bold asked her son, Lothaire, as guards escorted them to the vampire known as Stefanovich—the king of the Vampire Horde.”
Favourite quote: “As he’d slept one night, suffering from some nightmare, she’d gazed down at him with tenderness. Her chest had ached with feeling for him—as his continued to do for her. She’d smoothed hair from his brow, soothing him with soft words.”

Wow, that was quite a ride! I still cannot believe that I actually finished reading Lothaire , the book I have been waiting for ages! *sigh* Lothaire, I knew you wouldn’t disappoint me…

Truth to be told, Lothaire is still Lothaire the Enemy of Old, every bit of arrogant, homicidal, bloodthirsty, vindictive, sarcastic, cynical, narcissistic, dangerous, batshit crazy vampire. But even if he is like this, I have to confess that I’ve never met an antagonist-turned-hero so entertaining, yes, that’s the word. He is so amusing in his arrogance, believing that he can predict every move that Elizabeth makes, that I was cracking up with laughter everytime Ellie did something that he would’ve never thought of. And it happened plenty of times; actually, it started from their first meeting. Oh, Lothaire, you need some excitement in that boring life of yours! And Elizabeth Pierce is just the person to provide it!
But Lothaire is not perfect (even if he looks the part). He is completely aware of his good looks, of his powers, of his status in the Lore, of his reputation and when you blend them together, well, Lothaire becomes an insufferable arrogant male. He does his share of stupid things, is blind to facts, treating Ellie like she was inferior; I really wanted to slap his arrogance out of him at those times. I found myself pitying Lothaire because he never really knew happiness until he met Ellie, he was always thinking about his Endgame, his Vendetta that he never even had friends (only allies and foes).
Needless to say that he is shocked out of him mind when he realized that Elizabeth Pierce, “the peasant” as he calls her, could be his true Bride that he couldn’t quite wrap his mind around the possibility, causing him to reject her as his Bride completely. Oh, how entertaining Lothaire is!
However, luckly for him (and for me), Lothaire has this strange ability of doing unexpected sweet things that don’t quite mend with his character, things that make you wonder about the man that he could’ve been were he not the tormented, tortured and vengeful soul that he currently is. But well, thanks to Kresley Cole, Lothaire has a shot at redemption (even if it doesn’t come like it normally does)!

I was a little worried about Elizabeth Pierce. We (those who devour the IAD series) never knew her, she was a human and I really hoped that she wouldn’t be a Mary Sue. But as soon as I read this line, my worries were vanished:

“Me, a steel magnolia? Steel, my ass![Laughing, then abruptly serious.]Try titanium.”

Of course, we were talking about KC (the person who practically invented kickass heroines); she would never, ever create a good-for-nothing Mary Sue!
Elizabeth Pierce is nothing if not a cunning female. Even when possessed by Saroya, she would fight back and have a back-up plan.
First she wants to kill Lothaire. Then she tries to seduce him. Then she wants to kill him again only to go back to the seducing part. At last, she makes him fall in love with her. Then she wants to kill him again.
Elizabeth is a perfect match for Lothaire; piece by piece. She’s stubborn, a master at manipulation, cunning, brave, intelligent, witty and she gets back at Lothaire everytime he says something she doesn’t like. Their banter is really enjoyable, especially because she treats him like a common man. She stands up to him, she goes around him in a “say like you, do like me” manner. I really admired her and I liked about her this ability of doing her best with what she’s got. Heck, she becomes friends with the Valkyries, while she was their prisoner! She even becomes Regin’s videogames buddy! Impressive!

A lot of good things happen in this book. More importantly, we get to know more about Nix, Kristoff and Furiae (the Valkyrie Queen). Thad makes a few appereances and a new character, Hag, is introduced (she’s very interesting). I wonder about which character the next book is going to be? Maybe Lanthe?
I would recommend Lothaire to those who want to read a highly entertaining book about a redeemed villain and a human female who kicks his ass (repeatedly).But before you embark on this journey,read the previous books because you won’t understand a thing of what is going on!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lothaire.

Quotes Layla Liked

Kresley Cole
Admit it, love, you like it when I'm a little bad....”

Kresley Cole
“This is a kill-or-be-killed scenario, leech," Regin the Radiant, a glowing-skinned millennium-old swordswoman, told Ellie in a baleful tone. "So raise your weapon and prepare for your end. 'Cause I'm about to take your head."

Ellie yawned. Ten days of this was getting old. "Girl, I don't wanna play video games anymore.”

Kresley Cole
“I never knew I could hate someone as deeply as I do you.”
“I often help others discover the outer limits of their hatred. It’s a talent of mine.”

Kresley Cole
“I have an idea. Let's take off our clothes and fool around on the settee. If I trip and fall and land smack-dab on your cock, then it won't be your fault.”

Kresley Cole
“Lothaire is very much alive.”
“You swear?”
“Often. Though not as much as foul-mouthed Regin. I try not to in front of Bertil.” She petted the bat.
“I meant—will Lothaire live?”
“He will.”

Kresley Cole
“He jerked back. "What is this? Be like you were with me the other times! When you melted for me."

"That was before I fully understood what a nasty piece of work you are."

"Because of a few shifter beheadings? Come on, Lizvetta, it's not as if I went around cock-slapping gnomes."

Her jaw dropped.”

Kresley Cole
“His debtors always assumed he'd demand their firstborn. Like I'm fucking Rumpelstiltskin? What would Lothaire do with countless squalling babes? Raise them in a kennel?”

Elizabeth,
With my compliments.
You will never get your claws into another one of mine.
Rot in hell,
L

Nïx clasped her hands over her chest, sighing, “He gave you his heart. That’s so romantic. So much better than a candy heart. Those get stuck in the fangs, you know.”

Kresley Cole
“As Lothaire lifted the lid with a sense of dread, Nïx murmured, “Hint: it’s the middle one.”
Elizabeth’s fragile finger.Seeing it severed like this brought on a visceral reaction—pain shooting through his own hand, radiating throughout his regenerated heart. He closed the lid with a swallow, sentimentally pocketing the package.
“You gave her your heart, and she gave you the bird.” Nïx sighed. “Songs will be written about this.”

Kresley Cole
Elizabeth is my happiness, he thought again. “I could hate her for what she did to me.”
“Because of one unsuccessful beheading?” She tapped her claw to her chin. “Wow. I never thought you were such a pussy. I’m rethinking our friendship.”

Kresley Cole
“When she absently worried her bottom lip with one of her adorable little fangs, he sighed.
The Enemy of Old fucking sighed.
Dear gods, it’d finally happened to him.
Happiness.
Then his own fangs sharpened.I will kill anyone who tries to take this feeling away from me.”

Kresley Cole
“She seemed to soften at that, but then she asked, "Has anything really changed?"
"I've learned I need to consult you in matters, lest you decapitate me.”

Kresley Cole
“First of all, I'm not narcissistic." When she opened her lips to argue, he said, "I know Narkissos of Thespiae -- while we might share traits, I came first, so he's Lothairistic, not the other way around.”

Kresley Cole
“She gazed up at him. "Just don't forget our new motto, Leo. 'We can always murder them later, but we can't bring them back.'"
"My wise and clever Bride.”

Kresley Cole
“I will fight any battle for you, crush any adversity. Because you are mine, beautiful girl. I love you so madly that the past before you feels sane...”
Kresley Cole, Lothaire

01/10/2012 "OMG! I am reading Lothaire...Finally! Please Lothe, be a good boy and make me love you!"
01/10/2012
20.0% "Chapter 14. Lothaire is so much fun! Why would I kill to know what she’s thinking right now? Probably because I enjoy killing."
01/10/2012
20.0% "Oh my dear God! This is hilarious :))) Silence. He glanced over at her; his hands clenched into shaking fists. Elizabeth was sound asleep. He’d finally opened up and actually talked with someone—had shown her his fucking book—and she’d fallen asleep? Had he bored her? "
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aly is so frigging bored I love your review and your status updates! I am so glad I have more people to talk about this book!

Who do you think it's in the next book? (view spoiler)

Layla Aly (Lothaire) Daciano wrote: "I love your review and your status updates! I am so glad I have more people to talk about this book!

Who do you think it's in the next book? [spoilers removed]"

Thank you, Aly!
Hmm, I'm not sure about Kristoff. I remember that KC said that Kristoff and Furie's book would be the last one. Anyways, Lanthe is a definite possibility. As well as Uileam (it was mentioned by Regin that he might have found his mate).
But I want more hints about Nix's male. Who the hell is he?
What are your thooughts regarding the next book? On whom do you bet?

Aly is so frigging bored I read that Nix will be the last one 'cuz she's the one always meddling and helping others find they're mates :D

I don't know about Nixie, but the thing L said about her needing a male to keep the Loreans of her back it's so true.

I thought Lanthe too, before I saw that ending. I would be simply mean for her to live us like that :D

One of the Lykae twins would always be a great character to read about...

Who would you like to have a book? I would love to read about Kristoff/Furie, Cara[Furie's twin], the Lykae twins, Lanthe, Annika[that's her name right? Emma's adoptive mom so to say] and I won't even mention Nix!

Layla Well then I feel sorry for Nix, for her to wait even more. In Lothaire she was crazier than ever, she can't even sleep properly now.

Hmm, do you remember when in Regin's book Declan's boat/ship was stolen by someone? And Nix said that it was the lovebirds, I was thinking since Thronos (the Vrekener) is practically a winged being then naturally he'll be the next one. Not to mention, in KC's Tug-of-war Lothaire was against Lanthe.
Yes, I think Lanthe is next.

Who would I want next? I want Tera, the fey! And Cara, the Lykae Twins. Annika hasn't been around for a while. Oh yes, Natalya, the Dark Fey!
Thinking about it, Kristoff and Furie is going to be a scary book. And a sensual as hell one! :))

Aly is so frigging bored Oooh yes! Tara and Natalya, and that teen Thadeus :D he was so cute :D and what;s with all females wanting to land him??

I love Nixie the most, as a female character in the series. I think if she wasn't cray-cray I wouldn't love her so much :D

what about "the white queen and dark king"-stuff? the way they played with immortals so they'll do whatever they wanted? I found it high-handed, hot and disturbing at the same time...

Layla Maybe it's his southern drawl? He's really cute. Maybe he'll be with Ruby/Ruth (Carrow's ward) or Kosmina (from the Mist and Blood lands). But I don't think we'll see his book anytime soon, he's way too young for a HEA.

Yes, Nix is at her best when she's batshit crazy. She says a lot of strange things. I wonder how will I read her book, swimming through her confusing thoughts.

I agree. The "white queen/dark king" thing was disturbing. But they not only played with others, but with themselves as well. Remember that (view spoiler) I guess it was for the Greater good. Lots of people would've died if they weren't part of Nix and Lothaire' s game.

Aly is so frigging bored Yhea... And the Order thing! I think I expected it, but when I read it I was "wooow, she really did!"

I think her book will be as good as Lothaire's.

Layla Yes, I am even more surprised that (view spoiler)

I think her book will surpress Lothaire's book because she's even crazier than him :))

Aly is so frigging bored True =)))))

(view spoiler)

Layla Aly (Lothaire) Daciano wrote: "True =)))))

[spoilers removed]"

Hmm, I think I remember (view spoiler) But then again, maybe I'm wrong. We'll know the answer in the following books :D
Now, I'm starting to feel remorse for finishing the book so quickly. I'll have to survive a year without IAD :((

Aly is so frigging bored That might be true :D Yhea, and him telling Declan/Aiden about it, or not :D

I'll be re-reading *evil laugh*

Layla Aly (Lothaire) Daciano wrote: "That might be true :D Yhea, and him telling Declan/Aiden about it, or not :D

Umm, it can be.
Of course, I'll re-re-read as well but I really don't want to get to the part where I know entire quotes from the book. It has happened to me enough with Nalini Singh and Ilona Andrews. Today, I already re-read a part (view spoiler).
But! there comes Shadow's Claim. I bet we'll see some Lothaire, the mad king :))

Aly is so frigging bored We have to! I'm not playing otherwise... Well, damn, I am, but it won't be as fun :D I hope we see Phenix(view spoiler) too :>

And the Demestriu thing, I soooo didn't see that one coming!

message 14: by Layla (last edited Jan 12, 2012 12:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Layla I'm sure we'll hear from Nix someway or another. Didn't you notice that somehow Nix is always present in the IAD books? We'll see her, I'm sure. (view spoiler)

What Demestriu thing? *hmm* Did I miss something crucial?

message 15: by Aly is so frigging bored (last edited Jan 12, 2012 12:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aly is so frigging bored (view spoiler)

Nix... hmm, I can't even imagine! He has to be strong and brave, that's for sure :D

Layla Ah, that thing. It didn't surprised me, I was more baffled by the fact that (view spoiler).
Maybe Nix's mate is a god/demigod (since she's almost a goddess). I've heard some rumours that maybe Rok (the demon) is her mate.

Aly is so frigging bored Wooow really? That would be so funny, I can't imagine him as her mate :D Before we knew Lothaire's mate I wanted him to be with Nix... That would have been a great book.

That thing about Lothaire didn't surprise me that much...(view spoiler)

Layla Aly (Lothaire) Daciano wrote: "Wooow really? That would be so funny, I can't imagine him as her mate :D Before we knew Lothaire's mate I wanted him to be with Nix... That would have been a great book."

Perhaps, but then again we would've shot two birds with one stone and we would've got only ONE book ;)
Yes, the mother part was more surprising considering (view spoiler)

Aly is so frigging bored (view spoiler)

True, but it would have been so cool :D Imagine all the fireworks!

Like in Dark Hunters(saw you read 'em) I always imagine that Sav and Apollymi will have a HEA together :D

Layla The Ivana part, that could be true. There's from where Lothaire got his arrogance :))

I haven't read the last Dark Hunter book so my memory is a bit rusty. I can't really remember who Savitar is but Apollymi is such a nice character. I don't presume there was a book announced with them as main characters?

message 21: by Aly is so frigging bored (last edited Jan 12, 2012 10:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aly is so frigging bored No, it's what I want :D How come you don't remember Sav? He's one of the Chatonians and he's Ash's friend and trained him when he became a god, and he and Apollymi bitch a lot :D

Go on Sherri's site and look his character up, I'm sure you'll remember when you see the description and all

Layla Ah, I remember now! He's the guy who likes to surf, yes yes, how could have I forgotten him?
I wonder if he'll have his book, he's a very mysterious character

Aly is so frigging bored From what I remember the next arc is about him. The 1st one was Ash, now[theoretically speaking at least] is Jaden, then Sav, and the 4th we don't know yet.

I love Sav he's so zen, till the moment you piss him off and you have no head :D

Layla Aha, interesting. I really have to get up to date with this series, it's alarming how I don't remember some of the characters :))

Savitar, I guess he's the next Acheron, the most expected book?

Aly is so frigging bored I don't know... I'm not on the BBS anymore... But I know that I want his book very fast :D

Layla Aly (Lothaire) Daciano wrote: "I don't know... I'm not on the BBS anymore... But I know that I want his book very fast :D"

I want Apollymi. But too bad that the day when she gets free, the end of the world will come :))

Aly is so frigging bored I hope Sherri finds a way to avoid that :D

Layla Aly (Lothaire) Daciano wrote: "I hope Sherri finds a way to avoid that :D"

That would be great :D

Aly is so frigging bored Or we can kill Apollo and all will be well ;;) I hate his guts

Layla Aly (Lothaire) Daciano wrote: "Or we can kill Apollo and all will be well ;;) I hate his guts"

Ughh, everyone hates Apollo and that bitch Artemis :D After I've read this series, I never looked at gods the same way :))

Aly is so frigging bored Me neither :D I find the approach of them so cool!

Layla Yes, it's a rather unique aproach. They seem human buuuut they are not :)) I really hate them, especially Artemis :D I'm so glad the Apollymi can kick her ass :))