Linda's Reviews > The Ride of Our Lives: Roadside Lessons of an American Family

Mar 16, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: travel-and-exploration
Read in August, 2006

Mike Leonard is a feature writer for the Today show, and in this combined autobiography/travel story, his family travels in two rented RVs from Arizona across the southern states and up the Atlantic coast, and then back to Chicago. The occasion is Mike’s gift to his elderly parents, the ultimate family reunion. Jack and Marge Leonard, well into their 80’s, are real characters, and such opposites that one wonders how they could have stayed married for sixty years. Along for the ride are two of Mike’s children and their spouses, and a single son. Mike’s wife is staying home for the imminent birth of their first grandchild. The story alternates between events of their trip, Jack’s accounts of growing up with his three brothers, and his parents’ stories of their growing up in Paterson, NJ. The book is light as a feather but I enjoyed this crazy bunch, who make it back to Chicago in time for the birth of their great-granddaughter- granddaughter-niece Josie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ride of Our Lives.

10/08/2016 marked as: read