Cassandra's Reviews > Devil's Kiss

Devil's Kiss by Sarwat Chadda

Mar 16, 11

Read in March, 2011

I like it. A lot. The thing I like most about it, apart from well-developed plot and a smart (in so many ways!) heroine, is the work that went into creating the world in which Billi lives. As an academic, I can truly appreciate the amount of research that went into creating his universe. It is hard to not be impressed by an author who only makes up what he has to. He uses what is already out there in the world to his advantage. Why start from scratch if it is not necessary?

I also greatly enjoyed getting to know Billi. Other than the whole Knights Templar thing, she is a pretty typical teenager. She wants to have some freedom from her parents, go out with boys, and be appreciated. What is most surprising about Billi, however, is just how well her author understands her. This is no small feat considering that he never lived through those days himself. He did not experience the roller coaster that being a teen girl can be. He is, however, a father. His portrayal of Billi gives the reader a glimpse into his own relationship with his daughters. We know that he is not the father Arthur is, because Arthur could never had told Billi's story the way that Sarwat does. He respects her, appreciates her, and believes in her a way that would probably annoy her immensely if she knew about it.

Meeting the author ahead of time really informed my reading of the book, but I can honestly say that I would have enjoyed it even if I never met him. It might have taken longer to get in my stack, but I would have loved it. This just sped-up the process. Devil's Kiss is more than worth the read. It is fast-paced, suspenseful, and exciting. It is a perfect coming-of-age story.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devil's Kiss.