Andy's Reviews > True Grit

True Grit by Charles Portis

Mar 19, 11

Read from March 16 to 19, 2011

Well, I did it. I read my first western novel, and I must say it was quite enjoyable. I guess having seen the new movie did something for me in the way of visualization, but the story, the characters, and the end result were definitely something to be enjoyed and relished. There was a time I fancied myself a cowboy poet, which makes no sense since I have no cowboy inclinations of any sort, but there it was. In this time I thought to myself that I should probably bone up on my western novel reading as well. Needless to say it didn't work out. I bought Riders on the Purple Storm and got about 10 pages in. I am pleased that True Grit exceeded my expectations for the western novel. The narration was done by Mattie Ross, a 14 year old girl, and it was a great narration at that. She told everything in minute detail, and that probably added to the enjoyment of the novel as a whole. If anyone gets a chance to read a western, who hasn't done so yet, read this one. It it accessible, enjoyable, and reads almost like a mystery (with the mystery solved at the beginning), than a western. Sink your teeth into it, I'm sure you will enjoy the story for what it is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read True Grit.