Diah Didi's Reviews > Icon

Icon by Frederick Forsyth

Aug 30, 11

bookshelves: own
I own a copy

One of the best novel I've ever read, in my opinion. Though I found it is hard and pretty boring to follow at the first time, Frederick Forsyth makes it so great that the story is getting more and more interesting, so I keep on reading it couple of times.
Since it tells us about spy and politic, all the characters created are full with heroism, cunning, betrayal and intrigue.
Jason Monk, together with Sir Nigel Irvine, as the main characters, presents the ideal type of secret service agent. Brilliant, smart, fast thinking, loyal and kind hearted. Monk, a friendly and talented CIA agent, easily recruits four Russians to do spying for CIA and becomes their friend.
I have some favorite scenes. The first one is when the three recruited Russians, friends of Monk, are betrayed, caught and killed. The second is when Nikolay Turkin, also Monk's friend, is arrested in front of Mong who is only about a hundred meters from him but can do nothing. Another scene is when Monk cries after he read a letter from Turkin, saying that by the time he read it, Turkin probably has died already because of typhoid from the labor camp. Those scenes are very sadden, as sadden as the letter from Turkin, and tighten, that I started to feel as if I were Monk.
It's kinda hard topic for me to follow, but I think it's terrific.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Icon.