Ariana Deralte's Reviews > Victory of Eagles

Victory of Eagles by Naomi Novik

2205678
Mar 16, 11

bookshelves: action-adventure, alternate-history, dragons, napoleonic, war-stories
Read on March 16, 2011

** spoiler alert ** It took me two tries to finish reading this book and I actually had to get some spoilers by reading the synopsis of the sixth book before I could force myself to go through with it. Why? Because I hate angst and it was near unrelenting in its' pace in this book, and when there wasn't angst, I was forced to pay attention to the antics of a million new characters who, other than Wellington and Perscita, I didn't give a fig about.

It gets three stars and not two from me though, because I'm thoroughly aware this is my personal preference, not a reflection of the author's abilities. There were things I liked like how Temeraire actually has the exact same mannerism as Lawrence of falling back on politeness when he's been taken aback, and Wellington was a joy, enough so to make me want to reread my Sharpe novels. On the other hand, there were things I disliked beside the angst like the fact that for someone who loves Lawrence so thoroughly, Temeraire doesn't seem to understand him at all.

I appreciate that the author did a good job of writing a believable battle at the end there, though with Napoleon alive and uncaptured, I feel a great weariness that there's probably more fighting to come. With that in mind, the endings a good thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Victory of Eagles.