Petra's Reviews > Half-Blood

Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Jun 23, 14

bookshelves: favourites
Read from June 05 to 06, 2011

Move over vampires, werewolves and faeries – the Hematoi, Pures and Half-Bloods have taken the spotlight.

Half-Blood doesn't keep you waiting for action – it picks up right where Daimon ended. After being away from the Covenant for three years Alex is back, but in order to stay has to prove to the new Dean, who doesn't want her there that she can catch up to her peers before the school year starts. On top of worrying about her future and trying to move on from a recent tragedy, Alex still doesn't know why her mother took her away. How safe is she at the covenant?

The mysterious Aiden, a Pure and Sentinel starts training her. You can sense a tension between them every time they interact. Alex has always had a crush on Aiden, but it's forbidden by the Gods for Pures and Half-Bloods to be together. If caught Aiden will get a slap on the wrist, but Alex will end up in servitude. Which still might happen, if she doesn't prove she belongs at the Covenant.

Alex is simultaneously strong and vulnerable with attitude. She continually bends the rules to their limit and isn't afraid to speak her mind. Both get her into trouble and make her life harder, but that much more entertaining for us.

Although they make me greedy for more, I enjoy books that end on a cliffhanger, so I loved that every chapter in Half-Blood ended so suspenseful, upping the stakes that much more each time.

Jennifer L. Armentrout takes Greek mythology and puts her own twist on it, making it unique. It was a great change from the usual supernatural reads.

I really think Half-Blood is going to stand out among the throngs of paranormal books. It's a captivating, action packed and unpredictable story with compelling characters that kept me turning the pages, gasping and sighing with emotion until the end. I've found my new favourite series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half-Blood.

06/05/2011 page 82
29.0% "*swoon* :-)"
06/05/2011 page 132
47.0% "Hello, major plot twist! Duh duh dum"
06/05/2011 page 149
53.0% "Every chapter so far ends on a cliffhanger. There is this little annoying thing I need to do as a human being called SLEEP."
06/06/2011 page 195
69.0% "Ooooooooo, now the guitar picks make sense."
06/06/2011 page 201
72.0% "Argh! I hate uninvited guests!"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann Ooh, how come you already have this? Jealous!

Petra I can't believe I got it either! I was lucky enough to get it from the Publisher.