Meridyforgot's Reviews > Daughter of the Forest

Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier

U 50x66
Jul 29, 2009

Recommended for: adults

I just want to say that I have very mixed feelings about this book. It is one of my favorite love stories of all time. It is not some mere trite story. It is meaningful and deep.

However be warned, it does have what I have referred to before as "content". There is a part near the beginning where she is abused. Skip it. There is a part at the very end after they are married. There you go. So if you read it, and want to come away unscathed, be careful. Start at the part where Red finds her(maybe start somewhere in the middle and work your way back to it) and end when Red is finished with his story he tells at the end of the book. Oh, one more thing. Red has a nasty uncle who is--well nasty. You might want to skip some of his dialog towards end to our heroine--don't remember how bad it got, but you knew where is thoughts were going.

I do not recommend any of the other books in this series. I haven't actually read them, but I skimmed enough to know that they were not for me. While Daughter of the Forest has "content" in it, I felt the characters were very moral. I was disappointed with where she took the series. To me, the heroes where so flawed that they disappointed me, not to mention that there is "content" in those books as well. One of my pet peeves about book series is when you develop a love for characters who triumphed in the first book and then they totally messed up in the second one. From what I could tell this happened in the series, but like I said, I only skimmed.

24 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of the Forest.

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I am so glad you agree with not only the beauty of this book, but also those offensive things that are worth skipping. Hurrah.

Meridyforgot I am glad that you are glad! :) Seriously though, why can't people write more books like this one without the offensive things? I have such a hard time finding truely meaningful and enjoyable reads that are safe. There are safe books that I enjoy, but not many that carry this much meaning to me. It almost makes me want to write a book myself, perhaps someday I will possess the talent. Probably won't happen.

I mean the fact that she was abused IS imprtant to the story, but the details are compleptely unnecessary. I have already mentioned things like this so I won't drone on.

Thanks for the feedback Amy!

message 3: by Kate (last edited Jan 21, 2009 11:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate I agree that sometimes it is hard to take the abuse women are put through in fantasy and romances. To many, it is just plain offensive. I dislike it mostly because I think it is a sneaky way for authors to put a lead female character's sexual experiences into a situation where it is not her fault - therefore she is not thought of as easy or cheap because it was out of her control. I mostly don't enjoy this because it is in SO MANY BOOKS WRITTEN FOR WOMEN. In DOTF, I found myself rolling my eyes and wondering why I didn't see it coming. I thought it was important to the story, but it did run a little long. I enjoyed the book as a whole anyway.

Meridyforgot I totally agree. :)

Meridyforgot So true!

message 6: by Lindsey (last edited Apr 09, 2009 12:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lindsey Jackson I very hesitantly and politely disagree. I too loved this book and was most certainly offended by the rape (it actually made my cry, hard too) but I thought it was necessary. It was pivotal to the story. I don't think the author added that traumatic scene just for the sake of being sexual. I also think abuse shouldn't be sugar-coated. The reason that it is in books so often might be because it is such a common thing. Sadly 1-3 girls are sexually abused. I don't think the author was too gratuitous, I think the point was to offend- to disgust the reader. That's just my humble opinion though!

Kate As I said, I agree it was important to the story. I still disagree with the rape scenario being a main theme in every other romantic novel.

Elfear I do wish she hadn't been so graphic and explicit about it, but i though it was important to the story. And i disagree about the other books! I think you should read them. I actually liked the second book better, though perhaps you might not like the torture and stuff. I admit, perhaps it is full of 'content', as you say, but it really brings out Juliet Marillier's power of words and characterisation.

travelmel I wish you would have put "spoilers included" in your review. I am very disappointed.

message 10: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Thank you for your warnings! I really appreciate it.

Stephanie I have to say that I totally disagree. I'm really shocked that you would even suggest skipping over parts of the story. I mean, yes, the rape scene was disturbing, but I don't think that it was really all that graphic and it's important to the character development for Sorcha. This is the story that author wanted to tell, and I actually think it is a little disrespectful to the author to say that you should skip over parts of her stories.

Also, although I don't agree with your review of "Daughter of the Forest", at least it is a valid review because you actually read it. However, I really don't understand how you can say you don't recommend two books that you haven't even read. I just think you should read them first before forming an opinion about them.

Ayesha I agree with Stephanie; I was going to read this book, and this particular review put me off for a while, but I finally read it last night. The only thing that well and truly bothered me was the fact tat Sorcha is just so young. It seems like it would've been better if she was just a few years older right from the offset, but maybe that's just me? The rape is painful and demeaning, but it's meant to be - it explains so much about why she had to be the way she was with Red. Personally, I really enjoyed this book, and IMO, if you skip the painful parts of the story, then you cannot fully grasp the good parts.

message 13: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia Since when should books be more moral?

The most famous of books were once considered immoral because they spoke honestly of things people didn't want to know about. I strongly disagree with your review. I do not see anything wrong in putting a rape scene in a book if it is there solely to push and move the story along and especially to give the character growth. After her abuse, Sorcha was deeply afraid of men and distrusted even Red to a point. But of course, you wouldn't know that since you skipped important parts in the book. Shame

matthew I agree that this is a great love story, but I am almost offended by the way you are so offended by certain "unsavory" aspects of the book. Yes, the rape was very vivid and uncomfortable, but as a teenage boy reading this book, it left me with much greater awareness of just how evil men can be to women. This story takes celtic myth and makes it incredibly real and much more palpable. I guess reality is just to real for some people.

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa You need to add spoiler tags.

♥Book♥YouVeryMuch Please use spoiler warning before you give away parts of the book, because of you i now know there is a rape, and i just wanted general feel of yhe opinions. Spoiler warnings are there for a reason. So please next time you write a review do not include specific details of the book before alerting people of spoilers. Please Fix this comment before you upset others.

message 17: by Cat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cat If you are offended by life, maybe Disney will work better for you?

Douglas Cootey I'm just starting to read this book. Can a book really be a five star book if you have to skip parts? Shouldn't those "content" parts downgrade your rating? Otherwise, of what value is your rating?

Sarah Gibson Maybe you should stick with children's books if this is too much for you.

message 20: by Candis (new) - added it

Candis Perez Spoilers! Come on! Well, I was going to read this book but now there's no point.

message 21: by Candis (new) - added it