Borys's Reviews > Our Mutual Friend

Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens

Aug 21, 11

bookshelves: classic, english
Recommended for: everybody who loves classic English literature
Read from October 10, 2010 to August 21, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Just finished this novel: it took me almost a year to read it, kind of reading on and then switching off again. And in the question of language and style it was invaluable for me, though sometimes it was very hard to interpret the words and guess the meaning.
I love the style of Dickens, I appreciate always happy endings, I like many story lines, abundance of different characters, and how they are all intricately connected with each other some way or the other.
This novel was pretty much like all other novels by Dickens, that's why I enjoyed it immensely, and that's why I'd like to recommend it to everyone who likes classic Victorian prose, and if you never tried Dickens, well, then perhaps you'd better begin with some other novel, and if you like it, then come back to 'Our mutual friend'.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Mutual Friend.

Quotes Borys Liked

Charles Dickens
“Bradley Headstone, in his decent black coat and waistcoat, and decent white shirt, and decent formal black tie, and decent pantaloons of pepper and salt, with his decent silver watch in his pocket and its decent hair-guard round his neck, looked a thoroughly decent young man of six-and-twenty. He was never seen in any other dress, and yet there was a certain stiffness in his manner of wearing this, as if there were a want of adaptation between him and it, recalling some mechanics in their holiday clothes. He had acquired mechanically a great store of teacher's knowledge. He could do mental arithmetic mechanically, sing at sight mechanically, blow various wind instruments mechanically, even play the great church organ mechanically. From his early childhood up, his mind had been a place of mechanical stowage. The arrangement of his wholesale warehouse, so that it might be always ready to meet the demands of retail dealers history here, geography there, astronomy to the right, political economy to the left—natural history, the physical sciences, figures, music, the lower mathematics, and what not, all in their several places—this care had imparted to his countenance a look of care; while the habit of questioning and being questioned had given him a suspicious manner, or a manner that would be better described as one of lying in wait. There was a kind of settled trouble in the face. It was the face belonging to a naturally slow or inattentive intellect that had toiled hard to get what it had won, and that had to hold it now that it was gotten. He always seemed to be uneasy lest anything should be missing from his mental warehouse, and taking stock to assure himself.”
Charles Dickens, Our Mutual Friend