Kathy's Reviews > The Three Weissmanns of Westport

The Three Weissmanns of Westport by Cathleen Schine

Mar 15, 2011

Read from March 15 to 20, 2011

I seem to be in the minority on Goodreads on this one, but I found this little homage to Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility to be rather charming. Betty, whose husband of 48 years has just left her, finds herself rather unceremoniously unseated from her NYC apartment and moves to Westport into a cousin's cottage. Coming along for the ride are her two daughters, Miranda and Annie, both of whom are having financial and personal issues.

No, this is not Sense and Sensibility. But it is a pleasant read. I enjoyed reading about the romantic travails of women, rather than girls (the sisters are in their late 40's, Betty in her 70's). I loved the relationship between the very different sisters. Some of the supporting characters were stock, without much development, but some of them are terrific. Cousin Lou and his wife, Rosalyn, reminded me so much of certain members of my own extended family that I burst out laughing everytime they came on the scene. Ultimately, the heart of the story is Betty and her daughters, and to this reader, they were very real indeed.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Three Weissmanns of Westport.