Dahlia (yadkny)'s Reviews > The Debutante's Dilemma

Mar 15, 2011

liked it
Recommended for: Historical Romance Lovers
Read on March 16, 2011 , read count: 1

Two men vying for the attentions of the same woman is never a good thing, or is it?

Cecilia, having been raised in a proper and prosperous household, has never had so much attention showered upon her like she has now. The whole of society is waiting on an expectant breath for her to show favor of one suitor over the other, but she holds back. Her reasoning is regardless of looks, title, or wealth, but of what will become of her when she is taken as a wife. Deep down she craves for her husband to be of a passionate mindset, so that they may experience things in a way that isn’t born of duty or responsibility thereby leading to a dull and unfulfilling life. One bold move and she now finds herself in precarious situation that could either be greatly worth the risk or ruin her for life.

It’s amazing how something as simple as a letter, among other things, could be taken as improper back in the 1800's. The numerous and easy ways to create scandal is tremendous, which is what intrigues me about this time period. Affectionate gestures are not openly on display, so it would be hard to distinguish if someone merely respects you or if it could be something much more. Cecilia for being so young and inexperienced, is quite brave to take on the responsibility of such discovery with two well-known men. Jeremy and Richard are amazingly not the rakes I expected them to be. They’re for all intents and purposes respectable gentlemen, which is refreshing considering the amount of rakes that can be found in other stories of this genre.

I will admit that this book was a bit of a vocabulary challenge for me and had me pausing on a few occasions to look up certain words, but I did enjoy the proper presentation of the story. While reading it felt authentic in both a character and dialogue sense. The ending contains that happily-ever-after that I was seeking, but also allows for some of my own conclusions to be drawn as well. It’s a little twisted in that we never truly know what the author is thinking, but fascinating and enjoyable nonetheless.

This is a short read by Ms. Mady and her first published work. I look forward to seeing what other kinds of sensual and erotically romantic stories she comes up with next.

Reviewed for Carina Press via NetGalley:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Debutante's Dilemma.