Talia Vance's Reviews > If I Lie

If I Lie by Corrine Jackson

Apr 08, 12

This book! I read this book in one sitting. This is the kind of book that takes hold of your emotions and won't let go. I cried, I laughed, I cried some more, and in the end, I was just in awe.

Sophie Topper Quinn is easy to love. Branded the town slut after she is caught cheating on her war hero boyfriend, Sophie can clear her name, but doing so would mean betraying her boyfriend whose secret is not hers to tell. Doing the honorable thing comes at a huge price, as Sophie is bullied, ostracized and made to suffer alone.

The relationships in this book are complex, believable and completely real. Sophie and Carey- the love between these too is so genuine, and even when you want to bean Carey over the head for putting Sophie in the position he does, you feel the genuine affection between these two. Sophie and Blake- These two love each other in a way that is both warm and heartbreaking. There is a true triangle here, as Blake and Sophie's mutual love for Carey always hangs above them. Sophie's relationships with her former friends, her single father, the mother who abandoned her and a grizzled veteran who gives her the unconditional love she craves are layered and real.

The writing is gorgeous, and there were times I wanted to pause and just soak it in, but the story wouldn't let me pause for long, compelling me to keep turning the page until I knew that Sophie was going to be okay. LOVE!
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Lie.