Norm's Reviews > Kraken

Kraken by China Miéville

Mar 21, 11

bookshelves: books-i-bailed-on
Read from March 15 to 21, 2011

That's it. I quit. All done. I bailed on this book, for a lot of reasons. So let me tell you my reasons. I realize some of them may convince you to read this book, which means you're either more patient than me, smarter, or both:

Here's a snippet from page 109 - "It was in Crinklewood that, after a consultation based on highly specific geographopathic criteria, the Metropolitan Police had located its abquotidian operatives..."

Um, yeah.

Or how about this one from page 153 - "Swimming up through Murimuria, passing up through the caverns of Naraka and the shade of Yomi, crossing the rivers Tuoni and Styx from the farthest shore back, to the ferrymen's consternation, through a kaleidoscope flutter of lands, passing psychopomps of all traditions who had to pause with the new dead they were escorting and whisper to Wati, You're going the wrong way."

Um.

Here are my problems with this book. Too many passages like this where the author is either attempting to display his superior intellect or demonstrate our reading inadequacies. The book was fascinating on certain levels and I really wanted to read through the tedium and obnoxiousness because some of this book was pure genius. A living tattoo on the back of another man, other people transformed into radios and other objects, and other stellar stuff, both mesmerizing and imaginative.

And even though I found myself skipping sections whenever his written masturbation became too much, I wanted to keep reading, but then three things happened that caused me to jump ship, 1) the new Robert Crais book came out, 2) my new Kindle came in, 3) my proof for my upcoming book WereWoof arrived.

So now I simply don't have time to try and wade through the thick prose of Kraken.

I regret that I won't get to finish this book, and perhaps some day I'll come back to it. And yes, I know that on all levels his works sell better than mine, are 'smarter' than mine ... but, I'll say this, mine entertain on a far more elemental level.

Norm

(Oh, and the 'date I finished this book' is the date I bailed on the book)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kraken.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Bondama I have to say, I loved this book, but then, I was raised by two English professors who talk like that ALL THE TIME!!!

On the whole, I like Robert Crais much better, too!

Norm Bondama wrote: "I have to say, I loved this book, but then, I was raised by two English professors who talk like that ALL THE TIME!!!

On the whole, I like Robert Crais much better, too!"

Yeah, I really wanted to like it. But I'm guilty of liking fast reads. I don't have time to think my way though a book. It was pretty cool, just too thick to wade through. Thanks for the shout.