Eric Hendrixson's Reviews > The Salmon of Doubt

The Salmon of Doubt by Douglas Adams

Mar 21, 11

Okay, the three star rating requires an explanation. The idea behind this book was to publish an unfinished novel and a number of Adams' uncollected writings in a collection for the fans. This is not a book for casual readers of Adams but for people who have read everything Adams wrote and want more. It was exactly what I thought I was buying, so why the mediocre rating?

There was nothing wrong with the writing. It's Douglas Adams, so the writing was good. My issue was with the collection and editing. There are short stories included in the collection that have already been published elsewhere. I know I read "Young Zaphod Plays it Safe" in the leatherbound "More Than Complete Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." Another problem is the republished interviews in which Adams gives extremely consistent answers to similar questions. I don't fault Adams for this. It makes him very credible, but it makes the book repetitive.

This repetition makes it a book useful only to Adams completists. However, I guess this is exactly the audience for whom the book was compiled. Had someone told me this beforehand, I still would have picked up a copy of the book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Salmon of Doubt.

message 1: by Ellison (new)

Ellison Desrochers I agree with your point that the interviews were repetitive and a little hard to read. Adams had some very interesting points about religion, writing for assigned dates, and his many books. One of my favorite parts of the book were the short stories, in particular the one about Genghis Khan. They were very interesting and offered insights into his writing process.