Adam's Reviews > Dead Man's Bones

Dead Man's Bones by Susan Wittig Albert

Mar 21, 11

bookshelves: audiobooks-a-z
Read in March, 2011

Post Listen Review: Man what a bad book this was. This is the only mystery I can think of where I was hoping the amatuer detective would get shot before the mystery was solved so I didn't have to hear the ending. This book had the most bland and boring main character ever. She is happily married and seems to run an herb shop in her spare time but occasionally solves mysteries. The mystery itself wasn't very mysterious and I didn't really care who did it anyway. There never seemed to be a sense of fear or danger on the part of the main character. Rather than running away from bad guys or getting deep into the knitty gritty of forensic science or something the main character, China, says things like, "Growing lavendar in the the heat of a Texas summer can be dicey." She also continually says she is no Martha Stewart and then talks about making pasta with home grown pesto herbs. The writing grated on me at times too. Like when the author says the following-- She said "no," in a contradictory way. Just in case you didn't know that answering no is contradictory to begin with. I see that this is number 13 in a series and I am desperately hoping that the library does not have books 1-12.

Pre-Listen Guess: I am all for a good mystery and this seems like what this should be. I hope I will like it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Man's Bones.