Laura the Highland Hussy's Reviews > Lothaire

2043222
Aug 08, 14

Read from January 13 to 15, 2012

review posted on Demon Lover's Books & More book blog

The beginning of this book sucks you in, it traps you, and it doesn’t let you go. By the time you finish, you realize the whole day has passed, and you haven’t fed your children or husband, or even grabbed a coffee. Just me? I didn’t think so.

I wasn’t sure how much I’d like Lothaire as a hero, I mean he has had his moments, but always with a price. We find out why he’s been hoarding these “favors” owed to him. And we find out just how much he’s willing to give up for those favors, if anything.

Ellie is the complete antithesis of Lothaire. She’s a mountain girl through and through, but she’s possessed by a demon, so she thinks. Around age 18, she starts having blackouts and waking up to carnage, blood, and heaps of questions. After dealing with the murders, she decides to go out fighting. Suicide by cop. She grabs a shotgun, steps out in front of the police, and is instantly protected by Lothaire. Who is seriously pissed, by the way. So he tells her that she will go to prison where she can be safe from herself an others, until he can come for her. Surprise surprise, Lothaire found his bride. But it’s not Ellie, it can’t be this uncouth, barefoot mountain girl. It is of course, the vampire goddess inside of her. So off to death row for 19 year old Ellie, until Lothaire can find a way to separate her soul from Saroya, his vampire goddess bride.

5 years later, Ellie is strapped to the table, waiting for her death sentence by lethal injection, and who shows up once more? Lothaire, of course. Taking her with him, he decides he’ll keep her hostage until he can retrieve the Ring of Sums and he’ll use that to separate Ellie from her body. But he sort of realizes that Ellie may be his bride after all, not the frigid vampire goddess Saroya.

Oops, did Lothaire send his Bride to Death Row? And oops, has he treated her like crap? And oh, was he just as high-handed as they come? I think Kresley Cole has an amazing talent of having her heroes do things that I hate, behave in ways I hate, and yet I still like the hero. She gets me every time.

I loved how Ellie not only could hold her own with him, but she made him like her. Her, not Saroya. And the best part? Ellie made him question his End Game.

My fave quote has a teeny bit of spoiler for scene set up:

After a huge fight between them, Ellie is kidnapped by the Valkyries to be used as leverage against Lothaire. He sends her his heart, in a gift wrapped box with a note telling her, she had his heart, it’s the only one she’ll ever get from him. (I won’t spoil what she send him back, but it gives her street cred with the Valkyries, it’s just that awesome). So when they finally get back together, Ellie asks him if he didn’t want her, after all, he’d sent her his heart. He offers her, claws to his chest, his new heart muttering,

“Take this one, My heart doesn't fucking working right without you.”

Best scene in the book. Best line ever. I forgave him his alphahole tendencies then and there. This intense hero, mad as a hatter, made me love him from the first page. I loved his relationship with Ellie, and I loved watching him fall for Ellie, even when he was an ass to her. Ellie is one of my favorite heroines yet--I just adored her.

The only thing I didn’t like, is that I wish that he’d understood [certain things I can't spoil] without having to dream her memories, I mean I get why, but still, would have been nice to see him understand without that. But I am just dying to see what happens with Kristoff, Fury, Cara, Nix, and all of the characters who we love. Kresley Cole has reminded me of why she is one of my favorite authors ever.

***Thank you to Simon & Schuster for the the book

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lothaire.

01/13/2012 page 18
4.0% "Poor little guy"
01/13/2012 page 40
9.0% "Lothaire doesn't even like Saroya, yet he's too arrogant to believe he'd be stuck with a mere mortal"
01/13/2012 page 122
26.0% "I really like Ellie"
01/13/2012 page 180
38.0% "Mouth hug?! Lmao" 3 comments
01/13/2012 page 265
57.0% "oooh, maybe Saroya isn't your Bride after all"
01/14/2012 page 454
97.0% "Soo close to being done..."
01/14/2012 page 468
100.0% "Whew, I'm finished, my heart rate can return to normal Loved the epilogue" 1 comment
01/15/2012 page 468
100.0% "After much deliberation, I give LOTHAIRE a 5 I truly thought long and hard about giving it a 4, but I had trouble putting it down. I don't think L was all that awful to Ellie--I've seen that as a big complaint--, but I do think the ending came too quickly." 2 comments

The Holy Terror I'm not feeling his bangs : (

I really just want to push them up off his forehead, especially the ones in his eyes!

Laura the Highland Hussy I don't mind his bangs, but I thought Lothaire had long white hair? Not bangs. meh. I don't think the guy is all that hot, but I think he's kind of rugged looking and more "real" than some of the romance novel cover models, so I think I'm diggin on the cover since it's a bit different.

Bianca lol the bangs are kinda weird! I mean is his hair long with bangs? Cause I don't like that look on men at all!

Laura the Highland Hussy Bianca wrote: "lol the bangs are kinda weird! I mean is his hair long with bangs? Cause I don't like that look on men at all!"

isn't that, like,a mullet? lol, could you see the Enemy of Old sporting a bleached out mullet?! I'm cracking myself up over here :)

Bianca LMAO!! I need to wipe that image from my mind or I won't be able to take him seriously! lol

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOL! Sorry. had to barge in. But are you laughing about his hairr??? That's my lover, Paul!

Laura the Highland Hussy bwahahaha!!! Is he the one you and Gokce were chatting about? Sorry Annie, but I'm picturing him with a mullet

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) YESS!! That's him!! I will admit, this isnt the best pic of him. But he's nice and real funny!

Omg, laurie!! You're gonna ruin my image of Lothie in my mind! I'm gonna picture him with a mullet from now on whenever he threatens people with his badassness.

Also, you girls feelin the title? Lothaire? I wish she stuck with the alliteration!

Laura the Highland Hussy I think that he deserves the book to be named after himself. He just is. Lothaire. Say it with me now, Lothaire...

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OMGGGG

BAHAHAHHAHAH!!! Man, I'm starting to love Mullets too now. Rawr!

Laura the Highland Hussy comeon, he still looks badass...add in the fangs and red eyes :)

Bianca OMG!!! That is so how I'm gonna picture him now!!
LMAO

Laura the Highland Hussy (btw, guys, DON'T google mullets ::shudder:: )

message 14: by Laura the Highland Hussy (last edited May 25, 2011 02:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura the Highland Hussy This your guy, Annie?

Bianca ooo he looks good!! maybe a bit short for me though but still good looking!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) That is my man!

He's at least 6 feet!

message 17: by Laura the Highland Hussy (last edited May 25, 2011 02:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura the Highland Hussy I think that he was also on Lover Avenged Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7) by J.R. Ward yeah, that's totally him!

Laura the Highland Hussy I dunno, I kind of like the mullet idea-scary vampire threatening your life, blonde mullet, c'mon! that's awesome!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Yup that's him! Here, check this out!

May I present to you... SHRINE DE PAUL!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Omg, I can't stop laughing!

Laura the Highland Hussy OMGsh!!! He's McKell?! And Rydstrom?! Squeee!!! I have a new cover model love, well, I don't know, my Jimmy Thomas is all kinds of hot....too many choices!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Who is McKell? And yes he'd Ryd! SEE, LAURIE! I TOLD YOU HE'S AWESOME!

Jimmmmmmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaaaay, I like him too!

Bianca wow I think I just drooled all over myself!!!

Laura the Highland Hussy Annie *Leather Lust* wrote: "Who is McKell? And yes he'd Ryd! SEE, LAURIE! I TOLD YOU HE'S AWESOME!

Jimmmmmmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaaaay, I like him too!"

McKell is from Gena Showalter's Alien Huntress series. He carries a whip ;)
Ecstasy in Darkness (Alien Huntress, #5) by Gena Showalter

Laura the Highland Hussy Bianca wrote: "wow I think I just drooled all over myself!!!"

hang with us more often ;P

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) *hands Bianca a towel...pauses..hands her a couple more* You'll need that. LOL!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Oh ohhhhhh! I really like that cover! He's got a sexy back. And abs. and Face. Annnnnnnnnnnnd other parts too.

*cracks whip* I like it.

Laura the Highland Hussy I like your shrine ;D

Bianca Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7) by J.R. WardOne of my all time favorite covers

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Thanks. Someone had to do it *polishes nails on shirt* LOL jk

Same here, Bianca! He's on a ton of covers! He's on all the covers of JR's Fallen Angels series too.

Laura the Highland Hussy I noticed that he was, and it took me a sec to realize it's because Jim is the main guy of the series, so of course he'd be on all the covers-lol duh, laurie!

Kimberly I absofreakinlutely LOVED Loth's book! He was such a jerk most of the way! But such a yummy jerk!!..lol I really love Nix and I never got the feeling she and Loth would ever be together. I did however feel that they had some sort of connection. He says often he could kill her but he could never bring her back so...I am waiting for her book and hope like hell she finds her mate soon, she is going down hill fast!! Poor Nixie :(

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Omg, I just saw this post again and scrolled up to look at the pics in these comments. LAURIE, DO YOU REMEMBER THIS? LMFAO. MULLETS.

Laura the Highland Hussy Kimmie, I can't wait to read all about him--my book should be here any day now!! I don't see anyone who didn't like it.

OMGsh Annie, I'm seriously cracking up!!! Vampire mullets for the win!!
LMAO!!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Comment 9 cracks me up!! Omg, I can't stop laughing again. So funny!!

Hope your copy reaches you soon! It's so good! I just finished it today, Laurie!

message 37: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren Laura the Highland Hussy wrote: " Vampire mullets for the win!!
"

Dark hair vampire mullet.

Kekasih Misterius (Dark Lover) by J.R. Ward

EPIC FAIL

message 39: by Laura the Highland Hussy (last edited Jan 13, 2012 12:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura the Highland Hussy OMGsh! REN!!!!

Billy Ray Cyrus has the ultimate mullet:

The Achy Breaky Mullet

description

Want him at your neck?

Laura the Highland Hussy he's looking at your vein, Annie, he's mesmerizing you with his smoldering look...don't let the vampire mullet get you annie!!!!!

Laura the Highland Hussy Honestly, I'm not sure what's worse, the mullet? Or the soul patch he sports now...

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) SOUL PATCH!

Either one, I dont care for him. *shudders*

Laura the Highland Hussy yup, me either. He'd make a creepy vampire

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOL Yes!!! *shudders*

message 47: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren Laura the Highland Hussy wrote: "he's looking at your vein, Annie, he's mesmerizing you with his smoldering look...don't let the vampire mullet get you annie!!!!!"

Seems like familiar words.... by Fabio *run*

Laura the Highland Hussy I'm never gonna live that down, am I?

« previous 1