Bjoern's Reviews > The Cuckoo's Egg: Tracking a Spy Through the Maze of Computer Espionage

The Cuckoo's Egg by Clifford Stoll

Mar 24, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads, thriller, sachbuch, multiple-reads
Read from March 15 to 19, 2011

I've read this book already several times over the last decades (in the german translation), but this new reread was every bit as enjoyable as all the times (5-7, i don#t really know and still i'm every time surprised about the afterword with it's second story... oops spoilers! :D) in the past. Cuckoos Egg still is one of my favorite books, mainly because of the weird mixture of computer talk, spy story, historic episode and truly mind boggling circumstances described.

Cliff Stoll simply found a sort of language that touches me, connects with my inner nerd, wild-eyed spy-story-fan and fun-loving kid-anarchist at the same time and so i think i will still love Cuckoos Egg whenever i'll reread it many decades in the future! if you're not totally scared by the idea of heaps of computervocabulary* spreading throughout the text and want to have a look back at the golden eighties in geeks California or the early days of the internet this annecdotal spy-hunt is the book to read!

________________________________________________________________

*) Don't worry. Cliff Stoll describes himself right at the start as "not much of an hacker" and so takes great care of helping the reader over almost every tech-talk or acronym barrier imaginable, so it's not really a problem with the understanding, just maybe with some peoples patience when the occurences start to multiply. But let me repeat: it's worth the patience, because it's very interestingly written and tells a truly fascinating story from a now rather distant past (don't forget to read the author's notes at the back of the book, he's even found the perfect way to describe how distant those days nowaday are ^_^).
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cuckoo's Egg.

03/15/2011 page 117
28.0% "Every bit as fascinating as i remembered from the german translation. If you want to relive the early computing age through the eyes of a person not really in, but not really out of it also this is where you should go to."
show 1 hidden update…