Rachel's Reviews > Meant to Be

Meant to Be by Tiffany King

Mar 17, 2011

bookshelves: arc
Read from March 15 to 16, 2011

What if the only boy you knew you could ever love wasn’t real? That he was someone who comes to you in your dreams every single night. The only one who you truly feel connected to. And that upon waking your reality feels more like a dream world. What would you do if the only real happiness you felt was while you were asleep?

Krista Miller has had dreams of the same boy her entire life. They’ve both grown up together in her dreams, and yet she has never been able to see his face. He remains a mystery to her.

Perhaps it is because of her connection to this imaginary boy or because of her special sensitivity to the emotions of others around her, Krista has always remained friendless and alone. Shielded by her parents, she has managed to make it through, but with the loss of her father, she and her mother decide to make a change.

She had always been drawn to Santa Cruz, California. It is where she believes she goes in her dreams each night. So when this part of her dream world finally becomes her reality she is ecstatic. Will these be the same beaches she’s walked in dream? If she stands at the water’s edge will her ethereal soul mate become corporeal?

But when her once beautiful dreams turn to nightmares as the boy she loves gets ripped away night after night, she begins to wonder if somehow being in Santa Cruz is the cause. And when the secrets she thought she’s kept hidden are revealed, she learns that she may not be as alone as she once believed.

***

Meant to Be is an imaginative and enchanting debut novel from author Tiffany King that begins with a series of beautifully written and wonderfully descriptive passages that set the pace and mood for the remainder of the story.

Krista Miller is a girl who hasn’t really found her place in the world. She’s always felt different from her peers and been extremely sensitive to the emotional climate around her, preferring always to stay under the radar so as not to draw attention to herself.

All this changes when she moves to Santa Cruz. She meets a girl who seems to know just what she’s been going through and who she feels instantly connected to. And when she then meets a boy with whom she feels even more connected, she realizes that it must be more than a coincidence.

In Meant to Be we follow along with Krista as she uncovers the mystery of who she is and why she feels such kinship with people she barely knows. What at first seems like simply an elegantly written novel about a shy young girl is in fact a much more complex story with a twist that will keep readers guessing as to who the characters are and how it will end.

Author Tiffany King has taken an unconventional approach with her story in this genre. Rather than being immediately thrust into the action and turmoil at the outset, the suspense continues to build and the pace begins to quicken as the story progresses, until all comes to a head about three-fourths of the way in. And from that point forward the story will have readers racing through the pages while holding their breath with anticipation to find out what will happen to the characters they’ve grown to love.

This story is one that will be enjoyable for readers of any age and although it does not end with a cliffhanger there are still questions to be answered and much more story to be told.

On a personal note:

I discovered the author on Twitter and clicked a link to her blog where she had a teaser about her new book, Meant to Be. What a teaser it was. (Just check it out if you don’t believe me!) It was a simply beautiful passage that completely left me desperately wanting to read more.

And I was not disappointed in the least! I love Krista and Mark and was completely surprised when all was revealed.

I will not say too much because the ending is part of what makes this so full of awesome, but the paranormal element was different and creative and turned this story into a mega nail-biter.

Only drawback – I want to read more and this book just came out, so now I have to wait and hope for a sequel. By the end I was so in love with the story that I am heartbroken that I will have to wait for who knows how long for the author’s imagination to be transferred to the page and published.

And if you’re wondering –

Yes, I received an advance read for this, but no that did not sway my rating.

And yes, reading the pdf on my Kindle made the font so tiny I could barely see it, but I did not take off a star for that.

Yes, I think the author is amazing and sweet, but I promise my ratings were based on the read.

And finally, yes, I knew someone named Mark Russo that I couldn’t stand, and as you can see I did not lower the rating because of that, either.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Meant to Be.

03/16/2011

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Jaime (Two Chicks on Books) Lol great review!! Wanna come when we all go to Santa Cruz? What kindle do you have? The font was fine on mine.

Rachel Jaime wrote: "Lol great review!! Wanna come when we all go to Santa Cruz? What kindle do you have? The font was fine on mine."

Thanks! Sure I'd love to if I don't have to work.

I got the ARC as a doc, converted to pdf and sent to folks at kindle to do their magic. It's so mini. The paid version font is so large in comparison. I'll take a snap and FB it.

Jaime (Two Chicks on Books) K :) yeah I got the PDF and just emailed it to my kindle the font was fine.

A Book Vacation So I heard the sequel comes on in July...