Kate's Reviews > A Trail of Ink

A Trail of Ink by Mel Starr

Mar 15, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, mystery
Read in March, 2011

A Trail of Ink is my favorite in this series so far. I especially enjoyed the character of Kate, and not just because we share the same name! The rapport between Kate and Hugh is delightful, sparkling with wit and veiled flirtation perfect for the time period. One particular conversation about Hugh as the thief of Kate’s heart comes to mind. Combined with Starr’s well-researched use of medieval vocabulary and speech patterns, the relationship is reminiscent of Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy – minus the latter pair’s early animosity.

Speaking of vocabulary, I found the short glossary provided at the front of the book invaluable, although it’s also the subject of my one complaint: it was too short! It easily could have been twice as long, without detracting from the novel itself. Of course, I’m the type that leans toward over-informing

Overall, A Trail of Ink and its predecessors is a fresh, worthwhile read. While it’s categorized as a “whodunit” or murder mystery, the pace of the book sets it far apart from modern suspense genre. Given the tools available to a 14th century detective, the plot necessarily moves slower and, IMO, becomes even more enjoyable as the reader can experience all the nuanced historical complications.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Trail of Ink.